Aldi grape juice

For any alcoholic brew that doesn't fit into any of the above categories!
brewjohn
Piss Artist

Aldi grape juice

Post by brewjohn » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:54 pm

I have just been to Aldi and bought some white grape juice. I notice on the carton it says " NOT MADE FROM CONCENTRATE " and it has been Pasteurised. is this the correct one for wine making and will it ferment ?

6470zzy
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Re: Aldi grape juice

Post by 6470zzy » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:52 pm

It should definitely ferment as long as there are no preservatives listed in the ingredients. :beer:

Cheers
"Work is the curse of the drinking class"
Oscar Wilde

fatbloke

Post by fatbloke » Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:15 am

But it's unlikely that you'll just magically get perfect wine from it. Reds get a lot of stuff from the skins/flesh of the crushed grape (tannins, pigmentation, further fruit sugars, etc). Plus wine grapes are much, much sweeter then eating grapes, and the juice is probably pressed from eating varieties.

Adding more sugar helps, but doesn't entirely replace the fruit sugars, if wine grapes had been used.

It should be passable for quaffing, just wouldn't stand up to judging or professional tasting. Different grapes etc.

You can of course, go for a pyment and use honey to increase the sugars of the ferment.......

koomber

Post by koomber » Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:21 pm

Try this one:
http://www.winesathome.co.uk/forum/show ... on-the-BBC!)

Basically you use a mixture of white grape and apple juice to get a more authentic acid balance and flavour. I've done this heaps of times and it is a winner. Also, the lads on that website (while quieter) know a metric **** tonne about wines so can offer some great advice.