Blackberry Wine?

For any alcoholic brew that doesn't fit into any of the above categories!
scuppeteer
Under the Table
Location: Brenchley, Kent (Birthplace of Fuggles... or is it?)

Blackberry Wine?

Post by scuppeteer » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:24 pm

Thinking of taking a brief detour into a spot of wine shortly. Looking at the amount of potential blackberries I have growing around the orchards where I live I thought this would be a fine opportunity.
Does anyone have a good recipe?
I used to have an old book of my nan's with loads of handwritten ones in but d'you think I can find it! :?
Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
Dave Berry

Can't be arsed to keep changing this bit, so, drinking some beer and wanting to brew many more!

Sir, you are drunk! Yes madam, and you are ugly, but in the morning I shall be sober! - WSC

Ribbit

Re: Blackberry Wine?

Post by Ribbit » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:42 pm

Here's a recipe I found, but I'd use a bit more sugar than that for 3 gallons personally (I think I'd also use about 50% more blackberries for 3 gallons too, or use a few litres of red grape juice to replace some of the water - but saying that I expect it's quite drinkable as is), or just use as is and make up to 2 gallons instead of 3. If there's plenty of blackberries around here, I may have a go at this to do 2 gallons and see how it pans out:

Ingredients:
•4 lb blackberries
•2-1/4 lb granulated sugar
•1/2 teaspoon pectic enzyme
•1/2 teaspoon acid blend
•1 Campden tablet, crushed
•7 pints water
•1 package wine yeast and nutrient

Preparation:

Thoroughly wash the berries and place them in nylon jelly bag. Crush them and strain the juice through the bag into the primary fermentor. Be sure to press as much juice as possible, leaving the solids relatively dry. Tie the jelly bag tightly, and insert it into the fermentor, along with the sugar, pectic enzyme, acid blend, Campden, and 7 pints water. Stir until the sugar is dissolved, cover, and allow it to rest for 24 hours.

Sprinkle the wine yeast and nutrient over it and allow it to sit, stirring once daily, for 5 days. Strain the solids and rack into a dark 3-gallon secondary fermentor. Add additional water to make up the volume, and apply an airlock. Rack the wine in 3 weeks, and again in 2 months. Bottle. For the best flavor, allow a year for the wine to mature before enjoying it.

Makes 3 gallons.

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Rookie » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:02 am

Change the sugar to honey and make a blackberry mead.
I'm just here for the beer.

lord.president
Hollow Legs

Post by lord.president » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:42 pm

Just found a bramble patch round the corner from me! :) An hour later,out of CJ Berry's book:

4lb brambles
Wash,put in a bucket and crush with potato masher.
Pour over 1 gallon boling water,stir.
When down to 21C,add pectolase

Add yeast and nutrient a day later. Stir every day for 3 days.

Strain into a green/brown jar upto shoulder,keep rest in a bottle with cotton wool plug.

When ferment settled,and no risk of going ovber top,add rest of liquid.

Ferment out and rack as normal.
Getting Carlisle United into the First Division,is possibly the greatest football achievement of all time-Bill Shankly

oldbloke
Under the Table

Post by oldbloke » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:02 am

blackberry alone is OK, but it's always worth getting 4oz or so of blackcurrants in too, and 4oz or so of raisins. Makes a much better wine

lord.president
Hollow Legs

Post by lord.president » Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:47 pm

I forgot the important 3lb sugar!
Getting Carlisle United into the First Division,is possibly the greatest football achievement of all time-Bill Shankly

timothy
Steady Drinker

Post by timothy » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:29 pm

Go ahead and dissolve the sugar in a small amount of water and mix it in. Adding the sugar in stages can be preferable anyways so that the yeast doesn't have to deal with a super high gravity must from the beginning.

TC2642
Even further under the Table

Post by TC2642 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:12 pm

I made some up last week, 1kg Blackberries, 500gms of sugar and cheap co-op apple juice to balance it out. Still going strong and I'm intending to grab another kilo or two soonish
Fermenting -!
Maturing - Lenin's Revenge RIS
Drinking - !
Next brew - PA
Brew after next brew - IPA

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Rookie » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:39 am

oldbloke wrote:blackberry alone is OK, but it's always worth getting 4oz or so of blackcurrants in too, and 4oz or so of raisins. Makes a much better wine
Here in the Pacific Northwest there's a blackberry cross called marionberry that is fantastic by itself.
I'm just here for the beer.