Amaretto/disaronno

For any alcoholic brew that doesn't fit into any of the above categories!
emanresu_reeb_tuol

Amaretto/disaronno

Post by emanresu_reeb_tuol » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:16 pm

Hi If I bought an alcotec vodka kit to make 20 litres would adding amaretto coffee syrup when finished create an amaretto?
I know they sell the liqueur mixers but there quite expensive for such a small bottle.

Cheer's.

seymour
It's definitely Lock In Time

Re: Amaretto/disaronno

Post by seymour » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:26 pm

emanresu_reeb_tuol wrote:Hi If I bought an alcotec vodka kit to make 20 litres would adding amaretto coffee syrup when finished create an amaretto?
Guh, I sure wouldn't! Read the ingredients closely I guess, but those things are more chemically-derived non-dairy creamer than true almond extract. Real almond extract is also scary, because of the aflatoxin-producing mold and cyanide content. I like your concept though, keep working on possibilities...

emanresu_reeb_tuol

Post by emanresu_reeb_tuol » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:40 pm

Thanks! glad I never tried without asking here first, so 20 shots of liqueur mixers then or could I change the flavour by adding sodastream syrup is that safe?

Pinto
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Pinto » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:14 pm

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alcotec-Top-U ... 5af2ed9468

I know its nearly three quid, but surely you arent THAT cheap... :lol:
Primary 1: Nonthing
Primary 2 : Nothing
Primary 3 : None
Secondary 1 : Empty
Secondary 1 : None
DJ(1) : Nowt
DJ(2) : N'otin....
In the Keg : Nada
Conditioning : Nowt
In the bottle : Cinnamonator TC, Apple Boost Cider, Apple & Strawberry Cider
Planning : AG #5 - Galaxy Pale (re-brew) / #6 - Alco-Brau (Special Brew Clone) / #7 Something belgian...
Projects : Mini-brew (12l brew length kit) nearly ready :D

Join the BrewChat - open minds and adults only ;) - Click here

seymour
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by seymour » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:25 pm

emanresu_reeb_tuol wrote:Thanks! glad I never tried without asking here first, so 20 shots of liqueur mixers then or could I change the flavour by adding sodastream syrup is that safe?
I couldn't say with certainty, but those are possibly both fine. It's just that anytime you dissolve something in strong alcohol and plan to put it in your body, I think it's worthwhile spending a few minutes reading the ingredients and doing a few Google searches on the stuff you don't recognize. I know it makes me old-fashioned, but I like food writer/activist Michael Pollan's advice:
"Don't eat anything your great-grandmother wouldn't recognize as food."

"Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants."

"If it came from a plant, eat it; if it was made in a plant, don't."

"Don't eat anything incapable of rotting."
Anyway, sorry to digress, I didn't mean to turn your thread into a lecture. I just like to think about homebrewing as a way to escape mass-produced food-like substances, y'know? I wonder if you could simply shell a small quantity of actual almonds, run them through a grainmill or morter-and-pestle, and simply soak that meal in your alcohol, then eventually strain through a fine cloth to filter?

emanresu_reeb_tuol

Post by emanresu_reeb_tuol » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:22 pm

Pinto wrote:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alcotec-Top-U ... 5af2ed9468

I know its nearly three quid, but surely you arent THAT cheap... :lol:
Plus £3.95 postage and I would need 20 of those as each one makes a litre so that is not cheap.

I'm just looking for a better alternative to the mixers which would give me 20 litres of amaretto =P~ .
Last edited by emanresu_reeb_tuol on Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.

emanresu_reeb_tuol

Post by emanresu_reeb_tuol » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:28 pm

seymour wrote:
emanresu_reeb_tuol wrote:Thanks! glad I never tried without asking here first, so 20 shots of liqueur mixers then or could I change the flavour by adding sodastream syrup is that safe?
I couldn't say with certainty, but those are possibly both fine. It's just that anytime you dissolve something in strong alcohol and plan to put it in your body, I think it's worthwhile spending a few minutes reading the ingredients and doing a few Google searches on the stuff you don't recognize. I know it makes me old-fashioned, but I like food writer/activist Michael Pollan's advice:
"Don't eat anything your great-grandmother wouldn't recognize as food."

"Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants."

"If it came from a plant, eat it; if it was made in a plant, don't."

"Don't eat anything incapable of rotting."
Anyway, sorry to digress, I didn't mean to turn your thread into a lecture. I just like to think about homebrewing as a way to escape mass-produced food-like substances, y'know? I wonder if you could simply shell a small quantity of actual almonds, run them through a grainmill or morter-and-pestle, and simply soak that meal in your alcohol, then eventually strain through a fine cloth to filter?
No it's fine I like to learn new stuff about homebrew & you gave me good advice 8)

fatbloke

Post by fatbloke » Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:10 am

Anywhere that does the "Still Spirits" kit. There's a flavouring you can get (more than one type I believe), where you'd add it and the sweetener pack to vodka. It makes a pretty passable clone of it.

Manx Guy

Post by Manx Guy » Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:45 am

fatbloke wrote:Anywhere that does the "Still Spirits" kit. There's a flavouring you can get (more than one type I believe), where you'd add it and the sweetener pack to vodka. It makes a pretty passable clone of it.
+1

I beleive those flavour packs from 'still sprits' will turn a litre of 'Vodka' into 2.25 litres of ammareto type liquor...
Surely 2.25 litres is good value at £18.00 ? (£13.00 litre vodka + £5.00 flavour kit)

But if you simply want to get locked as cheaply as possible, simply google 'prison hooch'...
lol

:)

Guy

contadino

Post by contadino » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:28 am

Amaretto isn't made with vodka. You steep Amaro almonds (a particular variety that have a very distinctive taste) in alcohol for 5 days, then strain and mix in sugar and water. In the UK you're going to struggle because Amaro almonds don't grow well and you can't buy pure alcohol.

Manx Guy

Post by Manx Guy » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:13 am

Hi!

Thanks contadino for your input, you are correct we cant get either of those ingredients in the UK.

In the absence of pure neutral alcohol, vodka make a passable substitue - which while its not good for the purisits will provide a drink that tastes something like ammaretto.

I've made Limoncello for SWMBO in a similar way, with 50% vodka, soak then add simple syrup... Its not going to win awards, but she likes it

BeerEagle

Post by BeerEagle » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:30 am

From the wonderful and totally accurate Wikipedia:

"Despite the known history on the introduction and acceptance of almonds into Italian cuisine, more recent takes on the meanings and origins have come about, further popularized by the two major brands. Though of sometimes questionable factuality, these tales hold a sentimental place in Saronno culture.

In 1525, a Saronno church commissioned artist Bernardino Luini, one of Leonardo da Vinci's pupils, to paint their sanctuary with frescoes.[4] As the church was dedicated to the Virgin Mary, Luini needed to depict the Madonna, but was in need of a model. He found his inspiration in a young widowed innkeeper, who became his model and (in most versions) lover. Out of gratitude and affection, the woman wished to give him a gift. Her simple means did not permit much, so she steeped apricot kernels in brandy and presented the resulting concoction to a touched Luini".

fatbloke

Post by fatbloke » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:45 pm

Manx Guy wrote: +1

I beleive those flavour packs from 'still sprits' will turn a litre of 'Vodka' into 2.25 litres of ammareto type liquor...
Surely 2.25 litres is good value at £18.00 ? (£13.00 litre vodka + £5.00 flavour kit)

But if you simply want to get locked as cheaply as possible, simply google 'prison hooch'...
lol

Guy
No, the "top shelf" flavourings of the usual suspects make 2.25ltr, most of the liqueur clone flavours are 1.125ltr. The sweetner packs are likely almost entirely dextrose, maybe some other minor elements.

It's the "classic" range that's now changed price/size. Used to be about £4.50 to flavour 2.25ltr whereas now they flavour 1 litre and are about £2.25 or so....

Sure, none of them are exact clones but most of them do a passable job and if you're gonna bury them in mixer, nothing lost and cheaper than buying the real maccoy.....

contadino

Post by contadino » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:26 pm

Apologies. I don't want to be a booze snob.

It's just that the strength and flavour are kinda important. Alcohol puro is between 94 and 97%, so when mixed with 1/3rd water and 1/3rd adjuncts, you create a liquore of min 30%. If you use voddy, at say 40%, you'll end up with liquore of maybe 13%, which isn't anywhere near the necessary strength for a digestivo to work.

Plus you'll have all those vodka flavours going on.

If you can't make Amaretto, just play about trying to flavour vodka with almonds. Chuck in some mace, or cinnamon, even apple flavouring. But please don't go thinking that you're making Amaretto. And adjust the strength appropriately, or you could get indigestion (which for anyone who's spent time in Italy will know, is worse than heart disease) :-)

Manx Guy

Post by Manx Guy » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:01 pm

fatbloke wrote:
Manx Guy wrote: +1

lol

Guy
No, the "top shelf" flavourings of the usual suspects make 2.25ltr, most of the liqueur clone flavours are 1.125ltr. The sweetner packs are likely almost entirely dextrose, maybe some other minor elements.

It's the "classic" range that's now changed price/size. Used to be about £4.50 to flavour 2.25ltr whereas now they flavour 1 litre and are about £2.25 or so....

Sure, none of them are exact clones but most of them do a passable job and if you're gonna bury them in mixer, nothing lost and cheaper than buying the real maccoy.....
I stand corrected ... :)

Agreed the strength and the flavour ARE important, that's why I suggested too much corner cutting will lead to disspontmnt.
My local off licence sells genuine Italian amaretto ( not a major brand) for £13 for 70cl
Shop around and buy the real deal...

While it not as good as some brands it mixes nicely in a French Connection... Just the thing to see off indigestion...

;)
Guy

8)