Amaretto/disaronno

For any alcoholic brew that doesn't fit into any of the above categories!
fatbloke

Re: Amaretto/disaronno

Post by fatbloke » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:22 am

Manx Guy wrote: I stand corrected ... :)

Agreed the strength and the flavour ARE important, that's why I suggested too much corner cutting will lead to disspontmnt.
My local off licence sells genuine Italian amaretto ( not a major brand) for £13 for 70cl
Shop around and buy the real deal...

While it not as good as some brands it mixes nicely in a French Connection... Just the thing to see off indigestion...

;)
Guy

8)
Funny how we get convinced by branding and advertising isn't it. Like people who think that Jack Daniels is the definitive Sour Mash. They don't follow that it's just "a" sour mash, and not "the" sour mash. There's many as good, if not better, but you need to trawl around for those, as they don't have the JD marketing budget - hell a lot of them aren't sold outside the US either (well not regularly/routinely).

A "French Connection" ? Have to look that one up.........

contadino

Post by contadino » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:36 am

IIRC it's an amaretto/brandy mix. Never tried it, but a hilarious old soak I used to know swore by them.

As an aside, try bunging a few shots of amaretto into a jug of Pimms. It's fantastic. A barman on a tiny Fijian island introduced me to that one. No idea how he'd have picked it up.

emanresu_reeb_tuol

Post by emanresu_reeb_tuol » Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:12 pm

Ok I have a sugar wash bubbling away with alcotec vodka star yeast now do I need to add a stabilizer once completed? as I want to add various flavour's containing sugar.

I've read that sorbate can give off flavour's and get worse over time,is there anything else I could use?

emanresu_reeb_tuol

Post by emanresu_reeb_tuol » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:11 pm

Fermentation has completed do I need to add potassium sorbate? as I will be adding soda syrup.

fatbloke

Post by fatbloke » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:30 am

emanresu_reeb_tuol wrote:Fermentation has completed do I need to add potassium sorbate? as I will be adding soda syrup.
Stabilising depends on the likely tolerance of the yeast when compare to the probable strength of the batch as made i.e. if you made a batch to equate to 12 %ABV but the yeast are tolerant to 14% then yes you will need to stabilise (both sulphite and sorbate). Whereas if the yeast has diedoff because its reached its tolerance, it ddoesn't matter how much extra fermentable sugars are added, it won't restart fermenting...

Why are you making sugar wash if you were asking about Amaretto ?

Normski
Under the Table

Post by Normski » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:59 am

Hi emanresu_reeb_tuol
You say you have fermented a sugar wash. I assume youo will now want to turn that into a sprit. That is something that cannot be discused on this forum.
You may find a site called StillSmart Co UK of interest,
Norm
The Doghouse Brewery (UK)

emanresu_reeb_tuol

Post by emanresu_reeb_tuol » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:51 pm

Hi No I am not distilling I have added various essences to my high strength sugar wash(kilju)tastes like a half strength vodka with very good results ouzo,amaretto,dark rum,whiskey, tbh you can't tell them apart from the real thing.

Pinto
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Pinto » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:19 am

Ah, what we'd call a "prohibition" kit round these parts :) - straight fermentation of sugar wash to make a 20% odd alcohol base that gets cleaned up and flavoured. They work pretty well TBH, tried a few myself
Primary 1: Nonthing
Primary 2 : Nothing
Primary 3 : None
Secondary 1 : Empty
Secondary 1 : None
DJ(1) : Nowt
DJ(2) : N'otin....
In the Keg : Nada
Conditioning : Nowt
In the bottle : Cinnamonator TC, Apple Boost Cider, Apple & Strawberry Cider
Planning : AG #5 - Galaxy Pale (re-brew) / #6 - Alco-Brau (Special Brew Clone) / #7 Something belgian...
Projects : Mini-brew (12l brew length kit) nearly ready :D

Join the BrewChat - open minds and adults only ;) - Click here

emanresu_reeb_tuol

Post by emanresu_reeb_tuol » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:01 pm

Yep not bad at all I added some potatoes to give it a more vodka like taste,I will say it did help out with the final flavour.

Cheshire-cheese

Post by Cheshire-cheese » Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:25 pm

fatbloke wrote:...
Funny how we get convinced by branding and advertising isn't it...
True. I'd like to try more brands of Amaretto, so far I've only got my hands on a poor imitation that tasted insipid and the more widely advertised Disaronno that I must say I'm partial to. I've made a liqueur wich lacks the dark colour and syrupiness of the Disaronno brand but holds its own in flavour. Me being me, I have made a video of me making my amaretto. I cheated and used vodka as the alcohol.

Manx Guy

Post by Manx Guy » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:33 pm

contadino wrote:IIRC it's an amaretto/brandy mix. Never tried it, but a hilarious old soak I used to know swore by them.

As an aside, try bunging a few shots of amaretto into a jug of Pimms. It's fantastic. A barman on a tiny Fijian island introduced me to that one. No idea how he'd have picked it up.
Yes that's right brandy amaretto mix 50:50 is my fav ratio...
Funnily enough it was an old soak that introduced me to them also...

Not tried it in pimms, but I could see how that would work...

:)

The mouthfeel of the genuine amaretto is part of their appeal, well to me at least..
I wonder if they use simple syrup or maybe something a bit more 'exotic'...?

Guy

Cheshire-cheese

Post by Cheshire-cheese » Sun May 03, 2015 7:42 am

Manx Guy wrote:
contadino wrote:...As an aside, try bunging a few shots of amaretto into a jug of Pimms. It's fantastic. A barman on a tiny Fijian island introduced me to that one. No idea how he'd have picked it up.
...Not tried it in pimms, but I could see how that would work...
Me too, I must give that a go.