new to homebrew and have concerns

For any alcoholic brew that doesn't fit into any of the above categories!
chrisyboii221

new to homebrew and have concerns

Post by chrisyboii221 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:46 pm

I have started to brew an alcopop drink and after 1 night there seems to be orange foam right at the bottom of the vessil and bellow it is a layer of sugar ??

Do i need to do anything to it or am i being worryed about nothing.

Sorry if i sound stupid buy i am new to this.

Ingredients i used :
400ml juice
1.5litre water
1tsp yeast
250g sugar

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Re: new to homebrew and have concerns

Post by orlando » Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:55 pm

Sounds like fermentation, the "foam" sounds like flocculating (clumping) yeast, which is a good thing. :D You may not have stirred all the sugar until it went into solution, but don't worry it eventually will.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

chrisyboii221

Post by chrisyboii221 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:57 pm

Thats good.. thank you, you took alot of weight of my shoulder ... so should i leave it do you think or stir the sugar in ?

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:00 pm

You could give it a swirl by just moving the "jar" in a circle but frankly I wouldn't worry.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

chrisyboii221

Post by chrisyboii221 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:01 pm

Okay thanks for your help.

timbo41
Under the Table
Location: nr two big USAFE bases. youll HAVE TO SHOUT! brandon suffolk

Post by timbo41 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:16 pm

Yep.sounds like the yeast is doing its stuff! You say a tsp of yeast. I assume that's bakers yeast? Not ideal, for any brewing, but it will get there! May not be quite what you expect taste wise though
Just like trying new ideas!

fatbloke

Post by fatbloke » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:58 am

timbo41 wrote:Yep.sounds like the yeast is doing its stuff! You say a tsp of yeast. I assume that's bakers yeast? Not ideal, for any brewing, but it will get there! May not be quite what you expect taste wise though
As long as its been cleared down ok, taste should be fine. The only downside is that bread yeast is a bit of a swine as it doesn't flocculate well. It can do the better part of 12 % ABV but comes back into suspension if it thinks you've given it "a funny look".......

Plus it would seem that its closely related to the strain thats found in Lalvin 71B Narbonne. So is unlikley to be good if the ferment is left on the lees too long after the ferment has finished.

Brandon eh timbo4 ? Tipping bottled water at the estate opposite the fried chicken/carwash place tomorrow afternoon (if work goes to schedule...i.e. no traffic). The yanks don't seem to do night flying very often.......I hope)

timbo41
Under the Table
Location: nr two big USAFE bases. youll HAVE TO SHOUT! brandon suffolk

Post by timbo41 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:42 am

Well mate, traffic tends to build a bit here early pm due to ongoing work on the A11. I know the place you mean..keep meaning to try and blag some containers as fv..
if you come into Brandon from thetford direction you should avoid most traffic
Just like trying new ideas!

fatbloke

Post by fatbloke » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:01 pm

timbo41 wrote:Well mate, traffic tends to build a bit here early pm due to ongoing work on the A11. I know the place you mean..keep meaning to try and blag some containers as fv..
if you come into Brandon from thetford direction you should avoid most traffic
Nah, it's M/A11 to fiveways (heading up from the smoke)......

The water bottle containers are Ok for just the ferment, but I don't store anything in them, as they're Polycarbonate and Bisphenol A is used in the manufacture. Which means they're fine for water but you wouldn't want to have them in contact with any solvent, like alcohol, for any length of time.

Hence I just use them to ferment occasionally and then get the stuff out and into glass.......