slow gin in plastic bottles

For any alcoholic brew that doesn't fit into any of the above categories!
avtovaz

slow gin in plastic bottles

Post by avtovaz » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:10 pm

a freind fo mine is thinking of makeing some slow gin, itll take about 3 months, can she use plastic 5ltr bottles or will it have to be glass for storing for so long?

thanks

Belter

Re: slow gin in plastic bottles

Post by Belter » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:05 am

I'm sure you could use both. I know people who have done it in plastic. It's not like it has to be carbonated. But I'd much prefer it in a glass bottle.

fatbloke

Post by fatbloke » Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:56 pm

Ditto Belters comment.

While a wine or something of relatively low alcohol is less of an issue, if the sloe gin recipe is anything like the one I make (pound of sloes, pint of gin, 8oz of sugar and spices), then it's worth remembering that alcohol is a solvent. Yes, at beer and wine sort of levels it would likely take a while before it would affect the plastic, but as spirits sort of strengths, I'm of the opinion that glass would be safer (or stainless steel of course)......

TC2642
Even further under the Table

Post by TC2642 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:59 pm

Yeah, go with glass, strong alcohol like gin is likely to leech solvents into your drink.
Fermenting -!
Maturing - Lenin's Revenge RIS
Drinking - !
Next brew - PA
Brew after next brew - IPA

avtovaz

Post by avtovaz » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:39 pm

thanks!

mooj
Hollow Legs

Post by mooj » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:51 pm

I remember asking this question a long time back and can't remember the answer. I'm not sure I agree with the solvent aspect leaching chemicals unless you're using something like polycarbonate. Polythene, polypropylene, PET etc. should be fine in my opinion - think of all those duty-free spirits in plastic bottles. The gas permeability of plastic is an issue and will cause oxidation over a long period, however as sloe gin improves with age it may even be the oxidation that improves the drink(?)

All that said, I always put my sloe gin in glass bottles / demijohns :lol:
A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.