This years winter infusion - Wild Bullace Wiskey

For any alcoholic brew that doesn't fit into any of the above categories!
JammyBStard

This years winter infusion - Wild Bullace Wiskey

Post by JammyBStard » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:37 pm

I found a hedge of Bullace a couple of weeks ago. Bullaces are somewhere between a Damson and a Sloe. (I had to look it up)
So this year instead of Sloe Gin I'm going for Bullace whiskey.
70cl of Grain Vodka (Bare with me)
550g of Bullace, washed, pricked and frozen for a couple of days to breakdown the flesh.
30g of Food-grade Scotch-whiskey-cask shavings. Whiskey and grain-vodka pretty much start life as the same thing. The big difference is whiskey is aged in wood barrels.
No Sugar! I think the Bullace are a little sweeter than Sloes and the whiskey cask should impart a sweetness.

Just an experiment. we'll see how it tastes in three months, I'm hoping for something that can be drunk Straight.

fatbloke

Re: This years winter infusion - Wild Bullace Wiskey

Post by fatbloke » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:52 am

Whiskey either has malted barley or a defined single grain. Vodka uses pretty much any grain or even other sources of converted starch etc (yes, of course, some premium vodkas are specific, like potato vodka).

But that's about where the similarity stops.....

Hard to tell whether that fruit is actually bullaces or just reasonable sized sloes - I'm thinking youd have to find info about the actual plant and differences between the fruit flavour, because bullaces , sloes, damsons, etc are all genus prunus. Some will have spikes like hawthorn and blackthorn, others like damson etc don't. Not sure about Bullaces.....

JammyBStard

Re: This years winter infusion - Wild Bullace Wiskey

Post by JammyBStard » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:28 pm

They weren't growing on black-thorn so I'm sure they are not Sloes. The bushes were very similar to Damson trees but the fruit is much smaller and almost perfectly spherical and grows in clumps on the branch. I'm fairly certain they're Bullace.