Ginger beer - aka Botch it & skarper.

For any alcoholic brew that doesn't fit into any of the above categories!
Nikster

Ginger beer - aka Botch it & skarper.

Post by Nikster » Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:49 pm

So I was at Aldi yesterday and thought I'd have a crack at a ginger beer, but they had no ginger roots, so they had something I'm going to try, that's what brewing is all about after all right? ;)

So I got some of this, https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/product-range ... ed-ginger/ some oranges and some of that medmanzneria sugar, I already have some powdered ginger and some mulled tea bags at home so this should make an interesting brew I reckon. Although not sure if that ginger is enough for a gallon brew.

Would a safeale 04 work in this brew? as I have some harvested stuff from a previous brew I'd like to try to see if that was a success, or should I just stick with some wine yeast?

fatbloke

Re: Ginger beer - aka Botch it & skarper.

Post by fatbloke » Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:25 pm

Well I'd go for wine yeast, but the ale yeast should work......

Just remember, dry ginger wine is a bit weird tasting. It will need to be quite sweet. If you get a bottle of Stones or Crabbies ginger wine and stick a hydrometer in a measure, it comes out in about the 1.040 sort of area. So to get some sweetness and encourage the ginger flavour, you'd need to be thinking of about 1.020 or so.......

You might need a bit more ginger too. Just 200gms might not be enough.......

Or you can aways get some raw ginger elsewhere, tesco/sainsbury/asda/wherever...... Oh and if you did do that, just wash/scrub the outside of the root, then chop it finely, I understand that the hottest part of the ginger flavour is closer to the skin.

Nikster

Post by Nikster » Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:33 pm

I started the brew Monday so any amendments are off the card. But the point is noted about dryness, a friend had the same problem but I have some artificial sweetener at hand as I want to fizz these as well.

brewtalk

Post by brewtalk » Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:33 pm

Ginger ale is good just make a mini mash of grains and blitzed ginger root, do the usual 60 minute boil and then add (hops if you like?) nutmeg and more ginger root when you add to fermenter after rapid cooling.

been working on a gluten free version 1 no luck yet.