beverdale merlot.

For any alcoholic brew that doesn't fit into any of the above categories!
sam51

beverdale merlot.

Post by sam51 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:39 pm

hi all, first post on here and looking for some advice.
I have made some beaverdale Californian red,not sure if I been successful.
I am now going to make 30 bottles of beaverdale merlot.
my plan is to start with a 30ltr fermenting bucket,when the sg gets down to 1010,transfer it to a 23ltr femention bucket,to finish it off.
then can I transfer it to a 23ltr glass demijohn, to let it mature,
I then will transfer to 4 x 5ltr demijohns when needed, from them into bottles, the reason being is room, and I don't have enough 5ltr demijohns at the moment.
or bottles.
what are the storage times, and do I need to add anything at later stages,to keep it going off,
thanks in advance sam.

Redimpz
Hollow Legs

Re: beverdale merlot.

Post by Redimpz » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:11 am

It looks like you are using a method very similar to the one I use. I tend to let the fermentation run its course in the bulk fermenter then rack into a clean/sanitised fermenter for a further couple of weeks before stabilising and racking into demi-johns. the only additive I would recommend would be a Camden tablet in each demi-john after racking. You should be safe to store the wine in the demi-johns until you wish to bottle it, keeping it in a dark area if possible if it is a red. (or wrap the demi-johns in dark paper).
My other main tip would be not to rush into drinking it. It will continue to improve for over a year. (this creates a different issue of making enough and keeping it long enough to be certain that it is at its best)

Redimpz
Hollow Legs

Post by Redimpz » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:14 am

Having said all that, it is possible to have the wine from box to bottle in 28 days just follow the instructions supplied. it's just that I have found some things are better not rushed.

sam51

Post by sam51 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:28 pm

dose anyone fine tune these kits,
or just do what it says on the instructions.