Didn't Add Enough Sugar To Wilkos Forest Fruit Cider

For any alcoholic brew that doesn't fit into any of the above categories!
SleepyLee

Didn't Add Enough Sugar To Wilkos Forest Fruit Cider

Post by SleepyLee » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:23 pm

Hi guys. I started fermenting a forest fruit cider from Wilkos last Saturday 15-02-14. Yesterday I realised I didn't add enough sugar to it as I only added 1kg when the instructions said add 1.5kg, so I opened it up and added a further 0.5kg. (It was still bubbling away nicely before I added extra sugar and it's bubbling nicely today 24-02-14).
Now my dilemma is have I made a mistake and botched it up by adding the extra sugar so late on in the first fermentation? Also how long now should I leave it in the first stage? Thanks in advance.

jmc
Even further under the Table

Re: Didn't Add Enough Sugar To Wilkos Forest Fruit Cider

Post by jmc » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:35 pm

I wouldn't worry. Its still early days so adding part of sugar while its still fermenting well should be no problem at all.
It may take a bit longer to finish but that's all.

In answer to how long will it take, then you need to know when fermentation has finished and best tool for that is a hydrometer.

SleepyLee

Post by SleepyLee » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:55 pm

Thanks jmc that's put my mind at rest ;-) haha. I'll get a hydormeter next time I'm in town. I did look at one of them but I thought they where just for getting the % of alcohol so didn't bother getting it. Newbie error I think haha.

CJR
Under the Table

Post by CJR » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:22 pm

For kits, the ABV shouldn't really be a problem. It's one of those things where if you use the correct amount of ingredients (sugar & water) then you don't really need a hydrometer. By my recollection you should be looking at approximately 5%. I don't bother with a hydro for kit brews, only recipes. You'll be absolutely fine. :)
Southern Brewing

FV 1 (5 gallon): Nothing
FV 2 (5 gallon): Nothing

Commercial: More booze than some local pubs.

jmc
Even further under the Table

Post by jmc » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:09 am

CJR wrote:For kits, the ABV shouldn't really be a problem. It's one of those things where if you use the correct amount of ingredients (sugar & water) then you don't really need a hydrometer. By my recollection you should be looking at approximately 5%. I don't bother with a hydro for kit brews, only recipes. You'll be absolutely fine. :)
I didn't mean use hydromrter to calc %ABV. That's handy but main use is to check the FG so you know fermentation is finished and its safe to bottle / keg.

CJR
Under the Table

Post by CJR » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:42 am

That's what we do at work with a finishing hydrometer. At home I wait until the airlock stops bubbling if I'm just doing a basic kit brew but I'm do more readings on my AG and cider brews.
Southern Brewing

FV 1 (5 gallon): Nothing
FV 2 (5 gallon): Nothing

Commercial: More booze than some local pubs.