Ginger beer

For any alcoholic brew that doesn't fit into any of the above categories!
Ink

Ginger beer

Post by Ink » Sat May 03, 2014 8:17 am

Hi guys,

I'm off to Tesco in a bit and I was hoping someone might be awake to answer a quick question.

My FV came with a Young's Lager Kit. Now, I dislike Lager as a rule, but I dislike kit Lager even more. I made a few kits in the past with the old man and they never tasted right. I now suspect that this is because most kits come with ale yeast (go figure).

Rather than waste the kit, has anyone chucked a load of ginger in one. I was also thinking of using brown sugar and honey to round it off a bit.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Anything else I might need from't shop?

Either way, when I have finished being dragged around the supermarket by the kids and have bottled my cider I'll have a crack at it and share my findings (not the beer though, that's mine).

Jim
Site Admin

Re: Ginger beer

Post by Jim » Mon May 05, 2014 9:30 am

Probably too late now, but I thought I'd give this one a bump!
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

Ink

Post by Ink » Mon May 05, 2014 10:36 am

Thanks Jim. You're right, it is a little late so I just dived in. I used the Young's lager kit with 3 jars of honey (1020g total) and 200g light brown sugar to make the sugars content up to as close to 1kg as possible. It smelt great at that point, then I chopped and smashed up 1kg ginger. I had to wait a few hours for the wort (am I allowed to call it wort?) to cool before pitching the yeast, but when I did I gave it a good whisk in and the following morning the kitchen smelt like ginger nuts. I hope it tastes like it smells.
The SG was 1.047 which was perhaps a little higher than I was aiming for, but we'll see how it comes out.
Do you think I should leave the ginger in all the way through primary?

Ink

Post by Ink » Mon May 12, 2014 10:12 pm

I'm a wee bit worried about this. It seems a wee bit watery at the moment. Is there something I can do/add to improve the body?

Ink

Post by Ink » Sun May 25, 2014 6:36 pm

Just giving this a wee bump. I bottled this yesterday after 3 weeks in the FV. My experiences with kit lagers have always been deeply disappointing so I was pleasantly surprised with this. It is better than expected. I added a bit of sweetener to help the ginger come through. When it carbonates and clears, it will be a nice drink.