Sima - Finnish fermented lemonade

For any alcoholic brew that doesn't fit into any of the above categories!
bryanferry
Piss Artist

Sima - Finnish fermented lemonade

Post by bryanferry » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:47 pm

Been looking into making some fermented soft drinks in between beer batches. First recipe I found was for Sima, a Finnish lemonade usually made for Mayday.

The recipe was 3ltrs of water with 170g brown sugar, 170g White sugar, 2 lemons (thinly sliced) , 1/8tsp champagne yeast and some raisins. Boiled the water then dissolved the sugars adding the lemons and chilling to 20c.

Fastest brewday ever had. Added the yeast to the mix and left overnight. In the morning could see a small amount of bubbles round the rim so strained it into 3 litre bottles adding 4 raisins to each bottle. The caps aren't closed so any co2 can escape. Once the raisins have risen to the top will close and pop in the fridge. Should make for a nice Easter drink.
Grainfather conical standard bitter
Corny Keg 1 - Silver still spirits tonic water
Corny Keg 2 - Purple empty
Corny Keg 3 - Copper low % ale
Demi Johns

bryanferry
Piss Artist

Re: Sima - Finnish fermented lemonade

Post by bryanferry » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:23 pm

After chilling it was ready for sampling. Very tasty and quite refreshing. Will certainly make again but probably with a lighter brown sugar. Might also try to mix up the fruit options.
Demi Johns

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:05 pm

bf,
With that amount of sugar added, what was your SG?
Was it the usual 2 weeks in DJ, then Bottle, then 2 weeks warm, 2 weeks cold?
Looks good to me! :D
I see now that you posted on 30th march, then posted today! Is that it? is it finished? Awesome! :D =D> =D>

WA

bryanferry
Piss Artist

Post by bryanferry » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:35 am

Morning WA,
I neglected doing a SG check as i made it whilst watching the Scotland/Gibraltar match (as we were actually winning I was discombobulated).

As I was attempting to keep the alcohol at 0.1% the yeast is only to get some carbonation. It apparently should take about three days start to finish. Once in the fridge you should open the bottles daily to release some of the pressure. There was a bit of a kick already in the first bottle I opened.
Demi Johns