Alcohol free IPA

For any alcoholic brew that doesn't fit into any of the above categories!
alix101
Under the Table

Alcohol free IPA

Post by alix101 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:23 pm

Look I'm ready for the pelters :wall but I had an alcohol free beer by eirdinger yesterday and it was nice really drinkable I could even put one in my lunch box... :shock:
So I looked into how it can be done at home there was a good article I read which made it sound easy bacically brew whatever you like and put how ever much you want to be alcohol free in the oven at a specific temp and "Boom" alcohol free beer .....the question has anyone done it I'm guessing not ....
"Everybody should belive in something : and I belive I'll have another drink".

liamtmt7

Re: Alcohol free IPA

Post by liamtmt7 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:49 pm

interesting subject. I was drinking alcohol free lager at a wedding recently and I enjoyed it as well, was freezing cold and tasted like lager... could complain.

Interested to hear if anyone has done it.

alix101
Under the Table

Post by alix101 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:54 pm

http://byo.com/stout/item/263-brew-a-gr ... holic-beer

This was the link it sounds easy enough I'm going to try an experiment [-o<

BenB

Post by BenB » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:05 pm

I've recently had a few alcohol free beers (dry January and all that). The strangest was Cobra Zero- it just tasted like mildly dry-hopped dilute DME! Still had two though :D The ingredients said "yeast" but I'm not sure why, you sure couldn't taste anything resembling yeast or its by-products.

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Rookie » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:48 pm

BenB wrote:I've recently had a few alcohol free beers (dry January and all that). The strangest was Cobra Zero- it just tasted like mildly dry-hopped dilute DME! Still had two though :D The ingredients said "yeast" but I'm not sure why, you sure couldn't taste anything resembling yeast or its by-products.
I don't know about where you are, but in the States a "non-alcoholic" beer can have a slight amount of alcohol and still be called alcohol free, hence the need for yeast.
I'm just here for the beer.

alix101
Under the Table

Post by alix101 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:57 am

The rule in the UK is the beer needs to be 0.5% ABV or below.
Yes I tried the cobra one wasn't impressed a bit like its big brother, but erdinger one well it's worth a go.

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:31 am

liamtmt7 wrote:interesting subject. I was drinking alcohol free lager at a wedding recently and I enjoyed it as well, was freezing cold and tasted like lager... could complain.

Interested to hear if anyone has done it.
Freezing cold alcohol free lager with taste?
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

edonald774

Post by edonald774 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:49 am

This is something I'd really love to be able to do, I come from a family of alcoholics so there's always a bit of a worry at the back of my mind about the big beers I love.
I drink a fair bit of non alcoholic beers with my dad (alcoholic) and I haven't found anything I'd really shout about yet. Maybe the problem is that I'm not really a lager fan and they mostly seem to be lagers.

I did see something about it on that Jamie and Jimmy's food fight thin on friday night last week, they went to the place that makes bavaria alcohol free beer and they said they make it just like normal beer, except they only allow the yeast contact with the beer for 1 - 8 hours.

Something to do with even that short time the yeast can change the taste of the wort.

I'd be interested in trying it out on a TINY batch :) maybe do a 5 litre batch just to see if I could create a really low alcohol but actually tastes like beer, beer.

hazelbrew

Post by hazelbrew » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:07 am

Freezing won't work will it? The flavour would come out with the alcohol.

What adding a hop tea or dry hop after taking the alcohol out? To try and add back in some interest?

Or what about a wheat beer where a lot if the taste comes from the yeast?

edonald774

Post by edonald774 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:09 am

I think for me, alcohol free beer tastes really thin, so maybe need to get some body too

bobsbeer

Post by bobsbeer » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:33 am

There was an article I saw on TV, (I think it was Channel 4), the other day that interviewed a Dutch brewer who make tons of alcohol free beer. I don't recall the name of the brewer, but they were a big outfit. Basically their method was to ferment at a low temperature for only a few hours. The taste tests on this beer were surprisingly good and many said that it tasted just as good as traditionally brewed beer. This was a lager, so whether this method could be used for ale type beers I don't know. What yeast was involved I don't know.

edonald774

Post by edonald774 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:41 pm

that was it Bob, that was the Jamie and Jimmy thing :)

alix101
Under the Table

Post by alix101 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:14 pm

Brew Dog do an alcohol free beer nanny state it's very hoppy but tastes like hop tea, as already stated to thin no body the erdinger wheat beer just tastes like a good beer with body I don't know how they do it.
Freezing the beer would have the reverse effect the water would freeze before the alcohol essentially that's how you make an eisbok not to be drank while driving. ..an eisbok is something I've wanted to make also :D

HomeBrewChris

Post by HomeBrewChris » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:48 pm

[quote="alix101"]Brew Dog do an alcohol free beer nanny state it's very hoppy but tastes like hop tea, as already stated to thin no body the erdinger wheat beer just tastes like a good beer with body I don't know how they do it.
Freezing the beer would have the reverse effect the water would freeze before the alcohol essentially that's how you make an eisbok not to be drank while driving. ..an eisbok is something I've wanted to make also :D[/quote]
I've had the nanny state and found it has no body at all. I think it is made with very little malt.

alix101
Under the Table

Post by alix101 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:14 pm

Totally agree chris it would be intresting to know how they make it...ill ask one of the share holders :shock: