Turbo cider first?

For any alcoholic brew that doesn't fit into any of the above categories!
oldbloke
Under the Table

Re: Turbo cider first?

Post by oldbloke » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:32 pm

The problem you may have is that the sorbates/sulphites in the Ribena may not be destroyed by the boil and it won't ferment at all.

Pinto
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Pinto » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:35 pm

From experience, Ribena in brews WILL ferment - tho I've always boiled it before use; certainly wont hurt. One thing turbo's dont do is finish sweet - non-fermentable sugars will be needed.
Primary 1: Nonthing
Primary 2 : Nothing
Primary 3 : None
Secondary 1 : Empty
Secondary 1 : None
DJ(1) : Nowt
DJ(2) : N'otin....
In the Keg : Nada
Conditioning : Nowt
In the bottle : Cinnamonator TC, Apple Boost Cider, Apple & Strawberry Cider
Planning : AG #5 - Galaxy Pale (re-brew) / #6 - Alco-Brau (Special Brew Clone) / #7 Something belgian...
Projects : Mini-brew (12l brew length kit) nearly ready :D

Join the BrewChat - open minds and adults only ;) - Click here

ben9393

Post by ben9393 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:13 pm

What can I use to make it sweet?

oldbloke
Under the Table

Post by oldbloke » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:17 pm

Something like Splenda. The Morrison's own-brand one has a little bit of maltodextrin which will help a little bit with mouthfeel too.
Different people seem to be able to detect the "artificial sweetener" taste of different ones, so you may need to experiment, but if it's just enough to take the edge off rather than make a sweet cider, you shouldn't notice it.

Chug

Post by Chug » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:32 pm

Some folks have reported success with sweeter cider using this yeast with sweetener in.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cider-yeast-2 ... rmvSB=true

I'm waiting on some I did with no added sugar barley squash to carb up, it had sorbate and metabisulphite in, boiled it, it fermented ok, tasted lovely at bottling, fingers crossed, my fave is just plain apple TC though, I do the flavoured ones for the ladies

JackF

Post by JackF » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:35 am

[quote="McMullan"]You probably don’t need to add pectin. I’m guessing the apple juice you’re using has been filtered. Pectin would be added to freshly pressed, unfiltered apple juice, if aesthetics dictated. Do add yeast nutrient, as apples are surprisingly deficient of them. What you could add, after a few months in a maturation vessel, is some mailc acid and tannin to mimic the unmistakeable quality of real cider apples. Much more rewarding than fizzy apple juice, IMO. Just takes a little patience :wink: I have a fantastic book about making cider. I'll dig it out and post a note of the reference.[/quote]

I'm a bit confused about the pectin question here... Even though I've been making wine, mead, etc. for over 10 years, I have never head of anybody adding pectin to the liquor. Especially with apples, I have always countered the natural pectin with pectinase. But the older you get, the more you learn that nothing is written in stone (my own Granddad had some pretty outdated notions...). So what does pectin do to improve the liquor?
Thanks!

oldbloke
Under the Table

Post by oldbloke » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:25 am

I think we can assume pectolase was meant, rather than pectin.
Never needed it for turbocider. Though maybe it would have been a good idea in the one I did with Copella cloudy juice. Still not sure that one will ever be drinkable.

JackF

Post by JackF » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:03 am

Pinto wrote:From experience, Ribena in brews WILL ferment - tho I've always boiled it before use; certainly wont hurt. One thing turbo's dont do is finish sweet - non-fermentable sugars will be needed.
Thanks for the idea Pinto! I was doing a batch of federweisser with red grape juice for a party last weekend, and by thursday, it was still pretty lame in respect to body and colour. 2 l Ribena, and it was an absolute hit on Saturday night. 8)

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:22 pm

JackF wrote:
McMullan wrote:You probably don’t need to add pectin. I’m guessing the apple juice you’re using has been filtered. Pectin would be added to freshly pressed, unfiltered apple juice, if aesthetics dictated. Do add yeast nutrient, as apples are surprisingly deficient of them. What you could add, after a few months in a maturation vessel, is some mailc acid and tannin to mimic the unmistakeable quality of real cider apples. Much more rewarding than fizzy apple juice, IMO. Just takes a little patience :wink: I have a fantastic book about making cider. I'll dig it out and post a note of the reference.
I'm a bit confused about the pectin question here... Even though I've been making wine, mead, etc. for over 10 years, I have never head of anybody adding pectin to the liquor. Especially with apples, I have always countered the natural pectin with pectinase. But the older you get, the more you learn that nothing is written in stone (my own Granddad had some pretty outdated notions...). So what does pectin do to improve the liquor?
Thanks!
=D> 'Pectinase' is correct, JackF.