Turbo cider no activity after 24 hours

For any alcoholic brew that doesn't fit into any of the above categories!
ben9393

Turbo cider no activity after 24 hours

Post by ben9393 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:02 pm

I knocked up the strawberry turbo cider yesterday boiled the Ribena about 20 mins and I pitched yeast at 25c now sitting at 22 there's pressure on the lid but no fizzing yeast is just floating no bubbling in airlock I forgot yeast nutrient yesterday so have quickly put 5 spoons in water and dizzolvedand put that in and swirled fermenter so I'm hoping that helps?

How long does it normally take to to kick off.

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Re: Turbo cider no activity after 24 hours

Post by WalesAles » Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:30 pm

ben9393 wrote:I knocked up the strawberry turbo cider yesterday boiled the Ribena about 20 mins and I pitched yeast at 25c now sitting at 22 there's pressure on the lid but no fizzing yeast is just floating no bubbling in airlock I forgot yeast nutrient yesterday so have quickly put 5 spoons in water and dizzolvedand put that in and swirled fermenter so I'm hoping that helps?

How long does it normally take to to kick off.
ben,
How much did you brew?
How much Yeast did you put in?
Is it temperature controlled, ie, in FV in water bath with Fishtank Heater.
I don`t bother with Temp Control on my TCs anymore. They finish just the same if the FV is wrapped in a big duvet and just left alone! :D
Make sure the FV is not on a cold floor. If so, put a couple of towels underneath it.
Don`t worry, I`m sure it will be OK! :D

WA

ben9393

Post by ben9393 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:38 pm

23 litres 5 grams gervin cider yeast and it's on a Worktop surface no temp control.

oldbloke
Under the Table

Post by oldbloke » Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:58 pm

23l bins rarely seal perfectly, so your airlock may never bubble even if all is well.
And it will be slow to start if you left out the nutrient.
And if your boil of the Ribena wasn't good enough, it'll never start.
If no obvious yeast action after another 24 hours, get more yeast, build it up in a separate litre or so of Apple juice& nutrient, and when it's goung really well it may be strong enough to overcome the sorbate in the Ribena

ben9393

Post by ben9393 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:10 am

It's ok now has about 2 inches of brown froth on it and alot of pressure in barrel.