Using no added sugar drinks in Tc

For any alcoholic brew that doesn't fit into any of the above categories!
ben9393

Using no added sugar drinks in Tc

Post by ben9393 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:16 pm

I was wondering if I used on of the cartons of juice with a sweetener in and the rest normal sugar filled ones so it will keep some sweetness afterwards as the Ribena Tc I bottled today is very sour and bitter which I like but would like to have a little sweetness. Would this work.

Chug

Re: Using no added sugar drinks in Tc

Post by Chug » Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:13 pm

I've just started another no added sugar squash TC and a Lowicz syrup one
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=74496&p=789032#p789032

oldbloke
Under the Table

Post by oldbloke » Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:02 pm

ben9393 wrote:I was wondering if I used on of the cartons of juice with a sweetener in and the rest normal sugar filled ones so it will keep some sweetness afterwards as the Ribena Tc I bottled today is very sour and bitter which I like but would like to have a little sweetness. Would this work.
Should work. As long as you avoid anything with sorbates or sulphites. Getting the amount of sweetness right might take some experiment

Chug

Post by Chug » Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:22 pm

Sorry I went looking for the link and forgot to say yes, mine came out sweet with NAS squash, both squashes had sorbate and metabisulpahte in, I boiled em for 10 -15 mins and they are slower to start fermenting but get there in the end,next time I'm gonna try without boiling and see how it pans out.

Pinto
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Pinto » Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:29 am

Sorbate is temp sensitive, Metabisulphate isnt - so I think boiling gives the yeast a 50% easier job to overcome the remainder. I've tried NAS squashes before and although they worked as you'd expect,I find they still give an artificial "tang" which I dont seem to get by adding my own stevia or sucralose.... strange.
Primary 1: Nonthing
Primary 2 : Nothing
Primary 3 : None
Secondary 1 : Empty
Secondary 1 : None
DJ(1) : Nowt
DJ(2) : N'otin....
In the Keg : Nada
Conditioning : Nowt
In the bottle : Cinnamonator TC, Apple Boost Cider, Apple & Strawberry Cider
Planning : AG #5 - Galaxy Pale (re-brew) / #6 - Alco-Brau (Special Brew Clone) / #7 Something belgian...
Projects : Mini-brew (12l brew length kit) nearly ready :D

Join the BrewChat - open minds and adults only ;) - Click here