Finings in TC?

For any alcoholic brew that doesn't fit into any of the above categories!
WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Finings in TC?

Post by WalesAles » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:48 pm

Hello All,
I know I could Google this question, but I want real answers off real people. (Yes, I`m on my 4th pint of TC, how can you tell)? Nights tomorrow.
My Rasp and Cran TC`s always come out super clear after a week in the bottle.
There is always a tiny sediment but it creeps out on pouring. I end up with 5mm in the bottle and 5mm less in the glass.
Even if I leave the bottles for a month, 2 months, I still get the wispy tendrils of sediment creeping to the glass.
So, will finings work in a TC?

WA

oldbloke
Under the Table

Re: Finings in TC?

Post by oldbloke » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:38 pm

If you want it bottle conditioned for a nice bit of fizz, you're always going to get a bit of dead yeast at the bottom of the bottle. If you use finings you could easily kill the carbonation

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:24 am

oldbloke wrote:If you want it bottle conditioned for a nice bit of fizz, you're always going to get a bit of dead yeast at the bottom of the bottle. If you use finings you could easily kill the carbonation
Cheers for that.
I can live without Finings.
Why doesn`t Finings kill the carbonation in Beer?

WA

oldbloke
Under the Table

Post by oldbloke » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:24 am

Not much commercial beer is bottle conditioned these days. Try a Belgian Daas Blond, that'll have a nice yeast deposit.

Laripu
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Laripu » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:54 pm

Some yeast sticks to the bottom better than other yeast.

I made a TC that I wanted to end a bit sweet so I did three things: I steeped crystal malt for unfermentable sugars, used a yeast with low attenuation (Windsor), and added a tiny amount of pure Stevia (0.6g in 11 litres).

I fined with gelatin in the secondary FV, which was left for a month before bottling, so most of the yeast settled. The Winsor flocculates well, and with the gelatin it sticks to the bottom well. The sediment in the bottom of each bottle looks tight. When I pour, there's no visible yeast going into the glass.

The TC did end up slightly sweet. SWMBO likes it. The use of crystal malt raises the alcohol to 6.5%.
Secondary FV: As yet unnamed Weizenbock ~7%
Bulk aging: Soodo: Grocery store grape juice wine experiment.
Drinking: Mostly Canadian whisky until I start brewing again.