Stinkin' TC

For any alcoholic brew that doesn't fit into any of the above categories!
Big-e

Stinkin' TC

Post by Big-e » Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:02 pm

Good afternoon all,
I have made three batches of TC now, the first a couple of weeks before christmas which tasted ok'ish when bottling. I tried this one a couple of weeks later and it had this really unpleasant smell, difficult to describe but sort of sulphur/fishy and also had a aftertaste of the same even when left to breathe so all went down the drain. The second batch was the same even before bottling so went down the drain , i even tried degassing incase it was from the gas from fermentation and the third batch I have going is also giving off this smell whilst fermenting which I am guessing will also linger.
What am I doing wrong? :(

4lt apple juice (have now tried tesco, asda and sainsburys)
200g sugar
teaspoon of Youngs super wine yeast.

Mix all together and leave for 3 days then add another lt of juice and leave until finished.

this in now really cheeseing me off as my 30 bottle californian conniseur wine kit turned out really well( a bit too sweet due to me not trusting how much it would mellow in the bottle) my real ale kit beats the arse off the stuff they sell in my local and my red and rose turbo wine experiments are more than passable.
My only other failure was the treacle and liquorice ale, I guess there are too many additives in the liquorice.
Please help,
I am going to give one more go using ale yeast and adding no extra sugar. I will not be priming as I want a totally flat cider.
Any ideas :?:

MightyMouth

Post by MightyMouth » Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:18 pm

My first batch smelled really bad but I bottled anyway and 2 weeks later it was fine.

MickyD

Post by MickyD » Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:28 pm

I think its to do with the yeasts and the reaction to the apple juice.

I have made 2 TC's now and both have been a bit whiffy (including the one thats on now :D)

The first one tasted fine after it had bottle conditioned though, so I shouldn't worry. I used Youngs Wine Yeast for the first and Youngs Champagne yeast for the current one.

Minus The Bear

Post by Minus The Bear » Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:40 pm

I have only managed one TC so far and i did notice a bit of a stink while fermenting, but it tasted good even straight out of the demi.

The first bottle i tried after a few weeks was really good, i preferred it to cheap shop bought as i can taste actual apple in it.

ukmike99

Post by ukmike99 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:41 am

My first tc made just with apple fermented slowly and I thought it had stuck.Had a sample last night-yummy.
My second batch was 3l apple and 1l pineapple.After a volcanic 3 days activity slowed to almost nothing.I thought it had finished as the reading I got was 0.994,so I did a test bottle.Well it`s still fermenting very slowly in the dj and the sample in the bottle stank like rotten eggs.
Is this normal using pineapple?

ukmike99

Post by ukmike99 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:20 pm

I`m not normal anyway :D

Curious Brew

Post by Curious Brew » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:16 pm

I've found that the smells normally disappear over time.

I really must get round to trying my Atomic Lemon #2 and Curiously Fruity and see how they've turned out. :shock:

landy813
Steady Drinker

Post by landy813 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:40 pm

I found i get no off smells using a high alcohol desert wine yeast, I use half teaspoon of a 5 gallon packet. Also add some Tronozymol yeast nutrient it helps to finish of the ferment, the last gallon i made tasted better using it.
Landy.

booldawg

Post by booldawg » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:56 pm

My ginger beers turn out the same (made with ale yeast) 4 weeks in the cold seems to sort it out. I'm supping one as I type and its improved even over the last 2 weeks (bottled 13th Dec)