Where to buy Food grade NaOH or lye

Fed up with just drinking your homebrew? Post here if you want to talk about using beer in food recipes! Or if you just want to share something about food.
Cheshire-cheese

Where to buy Food grade NaOH or lye

Post by Cheshire-cheese » Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:43 am

I had a stab at making pretzels recently and have been advised, since, to use lye (sodium hydroxide) to blanch them, which gives an authentic pretzel with a better crust. Any idea where I would get food grade NaOH?

Trunky

:)

Post by Trunky » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:26 am

:)
Last edited by Trunky on Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cheshire-cheese

Re: Where to buy Food grade NaOH or lye

Post by Cheshire-cheese » Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:08 pm

It is the same chemical as caustic soda, but needs to be food grade.

EoinMag

Post by EoinMag » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:14 am

Cheshire-cheese wrote:It is the same chemical as caustic soda, but needs to be food grade.

Ask at a Jewish bakery?

Yeasty Rob

Post by Yeasty Rob » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:32 am

I really dont think you should be using sodium hydroxide (caustic soda) for food use - its a very nasty chemical, which is why its used to clean equipment and even to clean out drains. The fact the common name is "caustic" should give the game away ;)

I think you mean bicarbonate of soda, a far milder form of soda and often used in baking. Get it from any supermarket and it will come in food grade anyway.

boingy

Post by boingy » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:47 am

Yeasty Rob wrote:I really dont think you should be using sodium hydroxide (caustic soda) for food use - its a very nasty chemical, which is why its used to clean equipment and even to clean out drains. The fact the common name is "caustic" should give the game away ;)

I think you mean bicarbonate of soda, a far milder form of soda and often used in baking. Get it from any supermarket and it will come in food grade anyway.
I also thought it sounded odd so I looked it up and CC is not mistaken:
Lye is a corrosive alkaline substance, commonly sodium hydroxide (NaOH, also known as 'caustic soda') or historically potassium hydroxide (KOH, from hydrated potash)
Lye is used to cure many types of food, such as lutefisk, green olives, canned mandarin oranges, hominy, lye rolls, century eggs, pretzels, as well as some types of zongzi (Chinese glutinous rice dumplings), and Chinese noodles.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lye

Yeasty Rob

Post by Yeasty Rob » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:09 am

Just done a little more research and it appears you’re right.

Baking soda can indeed be used but NaOH is used for the ‘authentic’ taste.

Looks like a weak solution is made – a few tbsp’s in a litre. I would check out ebay as well.

EoinMag

Post by EoinMag » Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:38 pm

In German that whole branch of Jewish baking goods are called Laugengebaeck, which effectively means lye baking goods. They are poached in a solution of lye to get that shiny chewy gloss on them before baking as normal in an oven.

Cheshire-cheese

Post by Cheshire-cheese » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:05 am

Thanks for all the replies. To date, none of my pharmaceutical wholesalers have been able to help, but I'll seek out the Jewish bakeries in Manchester.