Pie recipe please

Fed up with just drinking your homebrew? Post here if you want to talk about using beer in food recipes! Or if you just want to share something about food.
flytact
Drunk as a Skunk

Pie recipe please

Post by flytact » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:40 pm

I'm wondering if anyone here can recommend a good pie recipe.
Criteria:
-Hand held (no utensils)
-Freezable
-Able to reheat in a toaster oven.
I'm looking to make a big batch and then fetch and thaw when necessary. Don't want to buy a box of mass produced bunk at the big box store.

I know there are hundreds online, but I'd like some first hand recipes if I could.

Cheers
Johnny Clueless was there
With his simulated wood grain

Jerry Cornelius

Re: Pie recipe please

Post by Jerry Cornelius » Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:49 pm

Have you looked at Cornish Pasties? They're certainly hand-held. And delicious. Plenty of YouTube hints on making them - mainly on the crimping of the edge, which if I lived to be a hundred, i'd never get right! :?

Anyway, the recipe is pretty basic -
(makes 4)
Pastry:
500 g good bread flour
120 g white shortening (I use lard)
1 tsp salt
25 g butter
175 ml cold water

Filling:
350 g good quality beef
350 g waxy spuds
200 g swede
175 g onions

a 2:1 mix of salt and pepper to season the filling. The more pepper the better I think!

Make the pastry and cover in cling film; put it in the fridge for three hours to rest.

Slice the other ingedients very finely and put into separate bowls, ready for filling the pasty. Divide the pastry into four equal lumps, and roll out into circles.

Use a rolling-pin and hang half the pastry cirle over it to divide it and enable you to gauge the filling. Make a layer of each ingedient (beef last) and sprinkle each layer with the pepper/salt mix. Add a knob of butter for a juicy sauce/gravy. Fold the top over and use a wetted edge (milk or water) to seal. Crimp the edge - use Google to find a YouTube explanation - it defies language.

Put in an oven at around 150 C for an hour. Gorgeous. Store what isn't neeeded today.

flytact
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by flytact » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:11 pm

For some reason I just saw this. Fantastic, thanks!
Johnny Clueless was there
With his simulated wood grain

Cheshire-cheese

Post by Cheshire-cheese » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:11 pm

I made a steak and ale stew recently and the leftovers made a great pie filling. Browning off the meat and onions for longer will give a darker gravy.

JuiceBanger1

Post by JuiceBanger1 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:51 pm

I make steak and ale pie with hobgoblin ale, their recipe is online, it's yummy. sometimes I use other ales, like bishops finger or tanglefoot or even guiness. just try any dark ale, they work quite well.