Beer and Black Pudding

Fed up with just drinking your homebrew? Post here if you want to talk about using beer in food recipes! Or if you just want to share something about food.
Jim
Site Admin

Beer and Black Pudding

Post by Jim » Fri May 06, 2005 4:33 pm

I'm sure there's a recipe inside me for cooking black pud in beer. It just needs working on.

Has anyone else heard of any such a recipe?

Reg
I do it all with smoke and mirrors

Post by Reg » Fri May 06, 2005 5:56 pm

From the CAMRA cookbook, of course... ;)

http://www.camra.org.uk/SHWebClass.ASP? ... DocID=7615

QUOTE Black Pudding Baked with Mustard and Mild (serves 6)

1 large onion, peeled and chopped roughly
300 ml (1/2 pint) dry mild
1 large cooking apple, peeled, cored and sliced
50 g (2oz) butter for frying
1 tbsp cider vinegar
3 level tbsps plain flour
1 dstsp English mustard powder
350 g (12 oz) black pudding links

Place onion and mild in a pan, cover, and slowly bring to simmering point. Leave to cook very gently for 30 mins without boiling. Strain beer off and discard onion.

Melt 15 g (12 oz) butter in a frying pan and, when foaming, add apple slices and fry brriefly on one side until brown. Turn over to brown the underside, sprinkling over the cider vinegar.

Divide slices between 6 individual ovenproof dishes - 3 to 4 in each. Carefully skin the black pudding links, halve them along their length, and place 2 pieces in each dish on top of the apple, flat side down.

Melt remaining butter in a pan and stir in flour, cooking for 2 mins. Add the mild liquor and give a good stir, then transfer to a liquidizer with the mustard and liquidize. Spoon this sauce into the dishes to cover the black pudding, then bake above the centre of a warm oven (190C, gas mark 5) until dark crust has formed on the top and the sauce underneath is bubbling.

Serve with chunks of malted grain bread to soak up the sauce

Can't say what it will be like though... :unsure: :blink: ;)

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Fri May 06, 2005 7:36 pm

Mmmm! Sounds nice! :P

Post by Guest » Fri May 06, 2005 10:45 pm

i've had black pudding and cider before in a pub in the highlands that was good

G-2

Post by G-2 » Fri May 06, 2005 10:46 pm

QUOTE (Guest @ May 6 2005, 09:45 PM) i've had black pudding and cider before in a pub in the highlands that was good
that was me, that was !

Reg

Post by Reg » Fri May 06, 2005 10:50 pm

Hey G-2...

Where was this?

Reg

Post by Reg » Fri May 06, 2005 11:14 pm

B*gger! Missed you... :D

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Sat May 07, 2005 8:06 am

Hmm, obviously guests can post in here! I must have set the mask up wrong when I created the forum! :rolleyes:

G-2

Post by G-2 » Sat May 07, 2005 1:23 pm

Jim- it never usually allows you to do it. i've always had to log in first....hmmm?

Reg- cant remember the name of the place but it was in Inverness. its near the castle if that means anything to you. It was black pudding and apples in a cider and something sauce. the same pub also made really good burgers. it tended to be the place i ate out when mates or my brother/sister visited when i worked up there with Andy at the byre. good pub (didn't show any football or i'd have been in there constantly!) with a good restaurant at the back. good quality home cooked food, not to highly priced either

how's the job front, mate?

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Sat May 07, 2005 1:27 pm

The Blacksmith's Table here in Washington does a starter with black pudding that sound's similar to that. It's very good. :P

Reg

Post by Reg » Sat May 07, 2005 6:13 pm

QUOTE (G-2 @ May 7 2005, 12:23 PM) Jim- it never usually allows you to do it. i've always had to log in first....hmmm?

Reg- cant remember the name of the place but it was in Inverness. its near the castle if that means anything to you. It was black pudding and apples in a cider and something sauce. the same pub also made really good burgers. it tended to be the place i ate out when mates or my brother/sister visited when i worked up there with Andy at the byre. good pub (didn't show any football or i'd have been in there constantly!) with a good restaurant at the back. good quality home cooked food, not to highly priced either

how's the job front, mate?
I interviewed for a big job yesterday but it's with an old employer so whilst I interviewed well I'm not sure I've really got a chance. I job - 12 applicants... it's a bit like "The Apprentice", really... :D

I'm wodering if you could make the Black pudding and cider thing you had in inverness by adapting the cider and chorizo recipe, I posted... did it have a sauce or was it more just a drizzling of juice??? ;)

G-2

Post by G-2 » Sat May 07, 2005 6:18 pm

it was a sauce, i think. i was pretty drunk most of the time up there when i wasn't working (there wasn't much to do and what with andy's fondness for all things booze.......). if i'm ever back up there, and i hope to be during the summer at some point, i'll pop back in and try and get the recipe from them

i tried a while back to make a cider sauce to have with pork but it was a bit of a disaster! i haven't bothered since

Reg

Post by Reg » Sat May 07, 2005 6:27 pm

QUOTE (G-2 @ May 7 2005, 05:18 PM) it was a sauce, i think. i was pretty drunk most of the time up there when i wasn't working (there wasn't much to do and what with andy's fondness for all things booze.......). if i'm ever back up there, and i hope to be during the summer at some point, i'll pop back in and try and get the recipe from them

i tried a while back to make a cider sauce to have with pork but it was a bit of a disaster! i haven't bothered since
I have my recipe for pork chops in cider that works quite well... I'll look it out for you m8... ;)

G-2

Post by G-2 » Sat May 07, 2005 6:30 pm

swooperb

right, i'm off out !

good night ladies!

Reg

Post by Reg » Sat May 07, 2005 6:31 pm

Drink a few for me and have a goodun! :D