Sherry Trifle - The Great Jelly Debate!

Fed up with just drinking your homebrew? Post here if you want to talk about using beer in food recipes! Or if you just want to share something about food.
Reg
I do it all with smoke and mirrors

Sherry Trifle - The Great Jelly Debate!

Post by Reg » Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:14 am

At my fiancee's request, I made sherry trifle for her birthday and was surprised to hear a demand for Jelly at the bottom!!!

Now typically I would not use jelly in a sherry trifle but rose to the challenge making a freash, homemade jelly from sherry, raspberry juice, apple juice, sugar, water and sheet gelatine. (No packet stuff when I cook!!!)

So - To jelly or not to jelly?

G-2

Post by G-2 » Fri Jun 24, 2005 7:20 pm

jelly all the way

i've aint never had no trifle dat aint got dem jelly, boi

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Sat Jun 25, 2005 6:51 am

Yup, all the trifles I've had were made with jelly.

So how do you make jelly from scratch, Reg?

Reg

Post by Reg » Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:13 am

QUOTE (jim @ Jun 25 2005, 05:51 AM) Yup, all the trifles I've had were made with jelly.

So how do you make jelly from scratch, Reg?
Take four small sheets / 0.5 Oz of jelatine and cut it to fit a small bowl of water. Soak the gelatine briefly. Either make your fruit juice from scratch or buy a carton. Flavour it with your booze of choice - Harvey's Bristol Cream is a sure bet! 1 pint works well with 0.5 Oz of gelatine.

If the juice is clear it will probably survive heating without discolouring .so just warm it up to about until it is too hot to touch but not boiling. Dissolve the gelatine in the juice. Place your container of warmed juice and gelatine in a bowl of Ices water until it is just starting to look sluggish, pour over your fruits or whatever.

If the juice is cloudy it will most likely discolour if heated, so boil half a pint of water and allow to cool so that all boiling has stopped. Add two teaspoons of water to make a syrup. Soak and dissolve the gelatine as before. Start to cool the mixture but don't let it get sluggish. Top up with cold fruit juice and cool and pour as before.

You can make some very nice jellies with things like clear apple juice as a base, but if you mash up a pound of strawberries in a blender then push the pulp through a sieve to remove the pips and gently warm for a little while with a little sugar to reduce to a syrup this can then be added to the apple juice and gelatine to impart a strawberry flavour without spending a fortune making a pint of strawberry juice.
Last edited by Reg on Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Reg

Post by Reg » Mon Jul 04, 2005 3:46 pm

I made a champagne jelly the other day... Yum!!!

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Mon Jul 04, 2005 7:33 pm

I wonder what beer jelly would be like. :P

Reg

Post by Reg » Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:36 am

Well it's got to be worth a go... Maybe a sweet porter jellied with some savory peppered beef in it or something??? :huh:

PieOPah

Post by PieOPah » Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:33 am

Okay, it is an old thread but I've just been doing some browsing.

Reg, how can you not use jelly in a trifle? Surely without the jelly it would just be sponge with custard and cream?

My mu used to make a fantastic trifle. She would have a load of sponge fingers (nice and cruchy like a biscuit - I used to eat them while she made her trifle). The fingers would all be stood up in the trifle bowl and then soaked with sherry until no more sherry could be soaked up. I think an extra splash or 2 was added for good measure!

The rest was your standard trifle. jelly, custard, cream. Whenever there was a family gathering and this was one of the puds, it was the first to go and usually the only one to completely go....

I loved that stuff. Might be the alcohol in it or something though!!!

Calum

Post by Calum » Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:11 pm

No jelly used in our Christmas treat. Sponge, Raspberrys and bristol cream sherry. You just need to pack it down firm. Layer on custard and then the cream and then sprinkle with flaked almonds.

Here is one from the BBC website.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/datab ... 6387.shtml

However, if someone was to offer me a jellied version I doubt I would turn it down. :D

Reg

Post by Reg » Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:19 am

PieOPah wrote:Okay, it is an old thread but I've just been doing some browsing.

Reg, how can you not use jelly in a trifle? Surely without the jelly it would just be sponge with custard and cream?

My mu used to make a fantastic trifle. She would have a load of sponge fingers (nice and cruchy like a biscuit - I used to eat them while she made her trifle). The fingers would all be stood up in the trifle bowl and then soaked with sherry until no more sherry could be soaked up. I think an extra splash or 2 was added for good measure!

The rest was your standard trifle. jelly, custard, cream. Whenever there was a family gathering and this was one of the puds, it was the first to go and usually the only one to completely go....

I loved that stuff. Might be the alcohol in it or something though!!!
Pie

Most classic trifles are made without jelly if the Worrall-Thompsons of this world are to be believed... ;)

subsub

Post by subsub » Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:58 am

Never ever used Jelly in trifle. Urgh! :roll:

ColinKeb

Post by ColinKeb » Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:53 am

milk ? :lol:

ColinKeb

Post by ColinKeb » Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:43 pm

i seem to remember having trifle with marmalade in the bottom :shock: wasnt nice im sure it was put there as a joke :)

maxashton

Post by maxashton » Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:31 pm

mmm.. pectin surprise..