Beer Batter Fried Fish

Fed up with just drinking your homebrew? Post here if you want to talk about using beer in food recipes! Or if you just want to share something about food.
quaffter

Beer Batter Fried Fish

Post by quaffter » Sat Jan 28, 2006 6:10 pm

Beer Batter Fried Fish

Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 5 minutes
Serves: 4

Ingredients

1 cup vegetable oil
1-1/2 lbs. whitefish fillets
1-1/4 cups buttermilk baking mix
1/2 cup beer, more if necessary
1/2 tsp. salt
1 egg
1/4 cup tartar sauce

Instructions

Heat 1-1/2 inches oil in a heavy deep skillet over medium-high heat to temperature 350°F. Lightly coat fish with 1/4 cup baking mix. Combine 1 cup baking mix and remaining ingredients, except tartar sauce, in a bowl. Beat with a hand beater until batter is smooth and thin. (If batter is too thick, stir in additional beer, 1 tablespoon at a time, until of desired consistency.) Dip fish into batter, letting excess drip into bowl. Place fish in hot oil and fry about 2 minutes on each side, until golden brown. Serve hot with tartar sauce.

Coooorrr puka food ;) :o
Cheers
quaffter B) :rolleyes:

quaffter

Post by quaffter » Sat Jan 28, 2006 7:28 pm

DaaB,
This is for 13 cups of Buttermilk Baking Mix, so down size as required.

Buttermilk Baking Mix

10 1/2 cups flour
1/4 cup baking powder
1 1/2 Tbl. salt
1/2 cup sugar
2 cups shortening
1 cup buttermilk powder
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda

In a large bowl, mix all ingredients with an eletric mixer until particles are small and uniform in size. Store on a shelf in a tightly-covered container. Makes 13 cups mix. Storage life is approximately 3 months.

Cheers,
quaffter
;)

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:08 pm

Mmm, I love battered fish; nice recipe quaffter. I may be forced to try this one out!

quaffter

Post by quaffter » Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:40 am

Sorry folks thought this thread was for booze recipes not boobs recipes B) :P :pink .
Having said that l have a dessert recipe that l call " Thanks for the mammaries pie".
It calls for two pear shape mounds to be made each with 2 large red cherries to be placed strategically on the top of each dome.
Looks very interesting.
Yummie,
If you get the mixing wrong or forget something you would have made a big BOOB :o :D ;) :P .
Sounds like your recipe DaaB.
Trouble with a big boob, you do not get many to the kilo :stun :unsure:
Cheers,
quaffter ;)

quaffter

Post by quaffter » Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:23 pm

Daab,
Got ya drift.
At the time of posting, thought it odd to see an ad at the top of the page for fried fish recipes having just posted one on that subject.
Boobs does not appear to remove it :D
Wacky great site this is'nt it :( :lol: ;)
cheers,
quaffter B)

johnmac
Under the Table

Post by johnmac » Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:18 am

Why is beer a popular ingredient for batter? I thought perhaps it was a way of trapping CO2, so that you get a light, bubbly batter. If that's true, then I would think the electric mixer would be a mistake and the beer should be folded into the mix?

Orfy

Post by Orfy » Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:33 am

I go with this, make the batter thick and whisk then fold in the beer.

Mr blue
Piss Artist

Post by Mr blue » Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:14 pm

johnmac wrote:Why is beer a popular ingredient for batter? I thought perhaps it was a way of trapping CO2, so that you get a light, bubbly batter. If that's true, then I would think the electric mixer would be a mistake and the beer should be folded into the mix?
seen a few chefs on tv say that it's the yeast and co2 in beer they also say not to beat the batter too much, just enough to mix together.
"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza." ~ Dave Barry

chrisstrong_86

Post by chrisstrong_86 » Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:46 am

I must say I've always followed this, keep it simple, Lovely light batter:

http://www.rivercottage.net/SeasonalRec ... 46&cid=141

(have shallow fried in deep frying pan with good results)

Chris