Flemish Beef and Beer Stew.

Fed up with just drinking your homebrew? Post here if you want to talk about using beer in food recipes! Or if you just want to share something about food.
quaffter

Flemish Beef and Beer Stew.

Post by quaffter » Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:25 am

Flemish Beef and Beer Stew

Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 2 hours, 15 minutes
Serves: 6

Ingredients

3 slices bacon, preferably smoked, diced
4 large onions, halved crosswise and cut into 1/2 inch wedges
2 tsps. brown sugar
1 Tbsp. cider vinegar
1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
2 lbs. boneless beef for stew, cut into 1 inch cubes and patted dry
3 Tbsps. all purpose flour
3/4 lb. dark beer
1/2 tsp. dried thyme

Instructions

Cook bacon about 5 minutes in a flameproof casserole over medium heat, turning occasionally, until crisp. Transfer bacon to paper towels with a slotted spoon and set aside. Add onions to drippings in pan and cook about 20 minutes over medium low heat, until very soft. Sprinkle with brown sugar, increase heat to medium high and cook about 8 minutes, stirring often, until onions are rich golden brown. Add vinegar and season with salt and pepper to taste. Transfer to a bowl. Preheat oven to temperature 350°F. Heat oil in casserole. Add meat in batches and cook 6-8 minutes per batch, turning occasionally, until meat is browned on all sides. Sprinkle with flour and stir well. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add beer, thyme, onions and bacon and remove from heat. Cover casserole and transfer to oven. Bake 1 to 1-1/2 hours, or until meat is tender.

quaffter :D ;)

quaffter

Post by quaffter » Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:22 am

Daab,
Yes love cooking, a bit of an amateur chef at heart.
Its like brewing beer or making wine ,great to nurture along with a big reward coming at the end with the finished product.
While cooking l slurp/quaff copious amounts of beer/wine,sometimes to the detriment of the finished dish,oh well :blink: ;) .

Funny recipe this, it calls for 3/4 lbs of dark beer.
For me l have calculated this to be approx 12 floz or 320 ml.

Yes great comfort food at these cold times for us B) , still, spring around the corner.
My mate Paddy will be out in about 2 to 3 months preparing his fields ;) :D <_< .
Cheers,
quaffter :)

sagwalla

Post by sagwalla » Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:40 am

This is also known as carbonnade. A US foodie mag did a side-by-side comparison of the best beers to use for it and determined that Chimay Blue was the best. I've made their recipe and it's wonderful. IIRC, they also tried Newcastle Brown, Sierra Nevada Pale and Budweiser among others. The determination was that complex maltiness made the nicest dish. This seems like a fairly obvious conclusion.

quaffter

Post by quaffter » Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:40 pm

Agree it is a fine hearty dish full of flavours.
l have tried different ales which all work.
But my favourite is with a stout, second best a good old quality English brown ale.
Might make this again this weekend, yummie puka grub :out .
It is the weekend after all folks, get the turbo out and quaff :pink :pink :pink :pink .
cheers,
quaffter :blink: :P

Andy
Virtually comatose but still standing

Post by Andy » Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:07 pm

QUOTE (quaffter @ Feb 3 2006, 05:22 AM) My mate Paddy will be out in about 2 to 3 months
What did he get sent down for ?

;) :D

quaffter

Post by quaffter » Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:04 am

:ph34r: May be something he should not have been growing :ph34r: .
Wish he would grow hops, he may be able to stay out all the time ;)
Q :stun

quaffter

Post by quaffter » Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:59 am

Andy,
missing part :ph34r: .
My mate "P" allegedly purchase these plants from a "Dell Boy " look alike, he has bad eyes,"P" that is, and told the courts he believed them to be "Marjoram" plants.
At his hearing, he convinced the judge to allow the court house cook to include them in there lunch for that day.
After the break, all the court staff were high, very high sitting in the court house gallery watching and laughing.
Did not bode well for him, poor chap.
For me they looked like plant pictures l had seen from Colombia.
But what do l know about plants?.
Q :out

Andy
Virtually comatose but still standing

Post by Andy » Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:31 am

:huh:

quaffter

Post by quaffter » Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:43 am

:unsure: indeed :unsure:
Am l in the right forum, this is the funny farm one yeah, or have l fluffed up again.
Do not tell anyone Andy , OK. :blink: :stun .
Q.