Beer Bread

Fed up with just drinking your homebrew? Post here if you want to talk about using beer in food recipes! Or if you just want to share something about food.
noby

Beer Bread

Post by noby » Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:28 am

Anyone ever make beer bread before?
I've tried a couple of times

I came across a recipe which was just weissbier/flour/spoon of baking powder. I can't remember the quantitys, but I know you get to drink about a third of the beer as you make the dough. Came out ok.

I also tried a couple of breads with a fistful of spent grains. After steeping crystal grains I threw some into a bread recipe. I'll defenitley try this one again. I tried it after brewing a stout, but grey/black bread just doesn't look very appetising.

Andy
Virtually comatose but still standing

Post by Andy » Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:40 am

He's also got a nice looking http://www.genre.fsnet.co.uk/kitchen/pizza/index.html recipe.

Steeev

Post by Steeev » Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:01 pm

That does look nice.
i used to make my own pizza bases as a kid - great fun.

sagwalla

Post by sagwalla » Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:19 pm

I've used spent grain from the brewery in the bread machine a couple of times. The only problem is that you're guessing how much moisture is in there and you need to back out some of the water from the recipe or your bread will be too wet. It makes an acceptable product similar to granary bread but chunkier.

Andy

Post by Andy » Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:38 pm

Good to see you back saggers! I'm waiting for an update to the beer section on your blog :P

Andy

Post by Andy » Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:47 pm

With all my brews to date I've spread the spent grains (and hops) on the grass in my garden. The birds don't seem to be massively interested or perhaps they wait until I'm not in and then attack! :huh:

Reg
I do it all with smoke and mirrors

Post by Reg » Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:06 pm

QUOTE (andy @ Apr 12 2006, 07:47 PM) With all my brews to date I've spread the spent grains (and hops) on the grass in my garden. The birds don't seem to be massively interested or perhaps they wait until I'm not in and then attack! :huh:
They're all too hung over to get up after the last time... ;)

noby

Post by noby » Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:21 pm

I have a few hens, and they get what I don't put on the compost heap. They go mad for it. I know there's very little nutritional value, but boy do they love it.

PieOPah

Post by PieOPah » Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:03 am

I've only ever made beer bread once and this was before I started homebrewing. The bread was on the heavy side (although this is 100% down to me having failed at making bread at every attempt and the wife refusing to bu a machine as she would eat too much bread). The recipe I used called for beer to be used in 100% replacement of the water. While the bread tasted nice I would say that I should have used a stronger beer.

One day I might try again but for now I'' pass on the home made bricks that seem to come out of my overn :)