Pork with white wine

Fed up with just drinking your homebrew? Post here if you want to talk about using beer in food recipes! Or if you just want to share something about food.
Immy's Dad

Pork with white wine

Post by Immy's Dad » Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:54 pm

Hello chaps!

Just thought I'd add my 2 penneth to this thread with a recipe that can be adapted as you wish.

This was originally meant for pork fillet, but I've found that it works well with chops and steaks too, you just need to adjust the cooking time.

Ingredients (approx depending on your taste) to serve 2-4 (depending on appetitite!)

4 pork chops or steaks

10 or so closed cup mushrooms (sliced) You could use any mushrooms really, Ive used flat ones and they were nice too.

Tomato puree (about half a tube)

Large glass of dry white wine - sauvignon blanc or chardonay work well (for god's sake don't use liebfraumilch) I bet a nice fruity reisling or mosel might also work too. When I say large glass I mean 1/3 of a bottle.

Half a pint of double cream

Olive oil

Butter

1/2 table spoon Dried oregano (you may adjust to taste)

Salt and pepper to taste

Method:
(You can omit this bit but does help to tenderise the meat.)
Bash meat with a rolling pin (wrap meat in cling film first), if using chops you should probably omit this part, no-one likes small shards of bone in their food.

Heat oil and butter in a large frying pan or sautee pan (sides on pan are good), make sure you also have a lid to cover the pan later.

When the oil is hot and the butter is sizzling, put the meat in. Brown it on both sides.

When browned, add the white wine, tomato puree and oregano. Stir in tomato puree until it is evenly mixed, turn heat down, put lid on and cook for about 20 mins. Check during cooking to make sure meat doesn't dry out. If the meat does look dry add a bit more wine or water. The aim is to have quite a thick sauce as you are adding musrooms and cream later.

Add mushrooms and stir in, cook for about 5 mins(covered). Add cream, stir and turn up heat. Let cream froth and bubble till it has reduced a wee bit. Add salt and pepper to taste (I personally like a lot of fresh ground black pepper).

Serving Suggestions:

I tend to serve with pasta, something to mop up the juice and, bizarre I know, broccoli.

Other Ideas:

Try leaving out the oregano and tomato puree and adding mustard with the mushrooms.

This is quick and tasty too, what more could you want. (plus you get to drink the rest of the wine, so buy a decent one).

Happy Eating.

P.S. Sorry for any spelling errors, I've been drinking.

maxashton

Post by maxashton » Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:47 am

NIce one!

charlie
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by charlie » Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:55 pm

Immy's very lucky.
Brewing in the badlands between Arnside and Milnthorpe.
Cumbria

maxashton

Post by maxashton » Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:36 pm

... so's immy's dad!

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:51 pm

Sounds great, I like the mustard alternative wholegrain would be good.

Pasta and steamed broccoli go well with a rich sauce :wink:

maxashton

Post by maxashton » Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:01 pm

i would have served it with mashed spuds with a few butter beans and a dash of horseraddish in there.

's one of my favorite staples.