Beer Chilli - The Ultimate Recipe

Fed up with just drinking your homebrew? Post here if you want to talk about using beer in food recipes! Or if you just want to share something about food.
hoppybob

Beer Chilli - The Ultimate Recipe

Post by hoppybob » Sun Oct 22, 2006 2:42 am

Try this, its my homemade recipe i've made it many times...and its always been fantastic

Pale ale Chilli

Ingredients

500-600g of beef chunks, (nothing fancy)
2 small onions
2 cupfuls of hot chorizo sausage or pepperoni
1 German sausage
A handful of pickled chopped jalepenos
1 can of kidney beans
4-6 small guerkins chopped
A handful of small roasted onions (from a jar)
1 can of baked beans
2 cans of chopped tomatoes
4 cloves of garlic
1 stock cube (beef)
1 large red pepper
A pinch of cumin
A pinch of corridander
2 teaspoons of hot paprika
A pinch of steakhouse mixed pepper
1 tablespoon of tomato puree
2 tablespoons of tomato ketchup
3-12 chillies (pickled or fresh and removal of the seeds, also dependant on size and how much u like, the ones I used were mild and small therefore it took a few)
2 teaspoons of chilli puree
1 teaspoons of caster sugar
A knob of butter
12oz of good pale ale (landlord, snpa, london pride)
Seasoning (salt and pepper)
50-100g of Mature Cheddar

Cooking Instructions

Fry off the beef in a small amount of olive oil. Salt if desired.

Chop the onions and crush the garlic, cut the chillies in two and remove the seeds using a knife

Fry off the chorizo and german sausage in a little oil, then remove from the pan

Add the onions to the pan that the chorizo was in. Add the caster sugar and sweat the onions on a low heat for a couple of minutes. Add the garlic and cook for a further while until the onions have become slightly yellowed.

Using a flame from a gas ring scorch the outside of the red pepper until blackened, then put inside a plastic lunch bag and leave for several minutes. Return to the pepper and remove skin, then chop into thin strips

Now, using a large cooking pot, add the beef, sausage, chorizo, onions and garlic to a knob of butter. Cook on a low heat and add the chillies, guerkins, jalepenos, roasted onions, red pepper

Drain the kidney beans and rinse under a cold tap, also drain the baked beans, leaving a small amount of the sauce to add sweetness.

Add the chopped tomatoes along with both types of bean.

Add the ketchup and tomato puree, along with the beef stock cube (dissolved in a small amount of boiling water)

Stir the mixture well and cook on a low heat for several minutes. Add the chilli puree along with the steakhouse mixed pepper, hot paprika, cumin, corriander and seasoning to taste.

Now, add the beer and let the chilli simmer for around an hour

Just before its done and reduced down add the cheese and stir through

Best served reheated after 12hours or more to let the flavours become more pronounced.

Serve with white rice and a nice pale ale

Frothy

Post by Frothy » Sun Oct 22, 2006 3:25 am

ah another night owl - looks immense will give this a go

Matt

Andy
Virtually comatose but still standing

Post by Andy » Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:03 am

DaaB wrote:Great recipe hb 8) I've notice chillis are best served a day after they've been made also, even freezing improves them also.
Yes, I concur...
Dan!

PieOPah

Post by PieOPah » Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:56 pm

I've just frozen a batch of chili I made for Bonfire Night - went down really well and will be keeping me full when the wife goes away.

I think I'll try a chili made with beer....