Atholl Brose

Fed up with just drinking your homebrew? Post here if you want to talk about using beer in food recipes! Or if you just want to share something about food.
Benjy Edwards

Atholl Brose

Post by Benjy Edwards » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:42 pm

Anyone tried making this or eating (drinking?) it? It sounds yummy, but I'm curious what people think. There seem be to a few different ways of making it (such as with or without cream).

Laripu
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Re: Atholl Brose

Post by Laripu » Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:36 am

Benjy Edwards wrote:Anyone tried making this or eating (drinking?) it? It sounds yummy, but I'm curious what people think. There seem be to a few different ways of making it (such as with or without cream).
Someone mentioned Atholl Brose on another forum, and I looked it up and made it tonight. Then I searched for Brose on this forum. Lo and behold ... one lonely post. So I'm reviving this ancient thread.

My version is from some website somewhere:

I poured water on some steel cut oats, let it sit for three hours while I ate steak and my wife ate swordfish at a local tavern. :D

When I got home, I ran it through the blender for 5 minutes and then strained it through cheesecloth. There was 550 ml of brose.

Simple recipe: 7 parts brose, 7 parts (inexpensive) Scotch, 5 parts cream, 1 part honey. Mix. Refrigerate. Serve. It made 1.5 litres.

As it happens, I had saved two nice looking whiskey bottles, and they're in the fridge right now. I'll serve some to myself and to SWMBO in 15 minutes, then report back.
Secondary FV: As yet unnamed Weizenbock ~7%
Bulk aging: Soodo: Grocery store grape juice wine experiment.
Drinking: Mostly Canadian whisky until I start brewing again.

Laripu

Post by Laripu » Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:53 am

OK, now we've had some. Despite some initial trepidation, Mrs Laripu likes it. I love it.

It has a strong taste of oatmeal, which I like. It's mildly sweet, and if it weren't for the Scotch, would be demulcent. It's a lovely drink. I recommend it.

Nosferatu
Hollow Legs
Location: Isle of Man , home of Bushy's , Okells and Hooded Ram breweries .

Post by Nosferatu » Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:10 am

Our local ice cream company is getting in on the act .
Athol brose, which is a single malt whiskey ice cream, with toasted oats and Harry Owens of St.johns Local Manx honey.
icecream.jpg
And they wonder why we drink ...

Laripu

Post by Laripu » Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:34 am

Nosferatu wrote:Our local ice cream company is getting in on the act .
Athol brose, which is a single malt whiskey ice cream, with toasted oats and Harry Owens of St.johns Local Manx honey.
What a great idea! I'd eat that. I'd go out of my way to eat that. (Just not all the way from Florida to the Isle of Man. :))

I made a second batch of Athol Brose a couple of weeks ago, two litres, and we're well into the second bottle. My wife will be asking for more soon.

Nosferatu
Hollow Legs
Location: Isle of Man , home of Bushy's , Okells and Hooded Ram breweries .

Post by Nosferatu » Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:47 am

I haven't had their athol brose but can vouch that other flavours they make are very nice .
And they wonder why we drink ...