Max's Chilli

Fed up with just drinking your homebrew? Post here if you want to talk about using beer in food recipes! Or if you just want to share something about food.
maxashton

Max's Chilli

Post by maxashton » Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:09 pm

Hio.

Serves lots. Or me, if im hungry.

Warning: This is not a dish for people who are concerned about diets. Or their intestinal health.

Gear:

Stirring implements.
Either a crockpot for the oven, or a pressure cooker.
If you're using a pressure cooker, make sure it will handle the volume ok.

Ingredients:

Note: herbs should be fresh unless its unavoidable.

2 tins of tomatoes.
1 - 2 pints of beer. Either use a mexican cerveza, or a fairly light bitter.
Try both sometime and you'll see why.
Oregano to taste
Basil to taste.
Chillies to taste
2 tsp of cumin seeds.
Wadge of parsley, flat or curly, so long as it's fresh.
1kg roasting beef, or beef of your choice. I like to use a cubed up roasting joint. Mince works too, i suppose.
500ml of chicken stock.
Fistfull of flour. Probably about 1 and a half cups.
Olive oil. If you really wanted to be traditional mexican, you'd use lard.

Heat the olive oil in a pan(or the pressure cooker if you're using one), and toss in the cumin seeds. let them crackle for a second or two, and throw in the flour. When the flour is starting to brown, put the beef in. Brown the meat off in the flour. It will coat it nicely. Once you're happy with the meat, throw on the tinned tomatoes, the beer, stock, and herbs.

If you like, you can add a tin or two of beans at this stage. Anything pretty much will work, i've even had success with heinz(!).

If you're using the oven, transfer everything to the crockpot and bung in the oven at 180-200. Its going to be a few hours, i tend to go by smell.
If you're using the pressure cooker, it will be about 30-40 minutes, at highest pressure and as low a heat as will keep pressure up in the container.

Serve with fresh crusty bread, and a pint.

Bryggmester

Post by Bryggmester » Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:10 pm

One and a half cups of flour, blimey are you sure it's that much? :shock:

maxashton

Post by maxashton » Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:12 pm

It's a fair old whack.
I think that's the measurement i used when i last made it. I have some american "cup" measures.
You need a lot to cover that much meat, y'see.

Mr blue
Piss Artist

Re: Max's Chilli

Post by Mr blue » Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:40 pm

maxashton wrote: If you really wanted to be traditional mexican, you'd use lard.
You'd also use plain chocolate in the recipe as well :wink:
"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza." ~ Dave Barry

maxashton

Post by maxashton » Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:06 am

That's mole, isn't it?
I tried that once.
Wasn't too keen.
:|

mysterio

Post by mysterio » Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:45 pm

Max, I'm going to try cooking your chilli today. I'm using mince though because it's what i've got.

maxashton

Post by maxashton » Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:12 pm

Have fun :D

If you don't have enough meat, make sure you scale back the other ingredients for sanity.

Let me know how it goes.

mysterio

Post by mysterio » Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:19 pm

Yep, I halfed it, and included a chopped onion, and a bottle of Sol for the beer.
Last edited by mysterio on Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:33 pm

Sounds great MA, imo the best chilli is made with cubed beef, but minced is ok. I like to make it with at least a kg of beef as the leftovers taste better after a day or 2.
I make sure I use whole toms and let them cook without breaking them up, doing that just before serving when checking the seasoning, the pips can give a slightly bitter taste if cooked crushed, thats why some recipes say to add a little sugar. :wink:

maxashton

Post by maxashton » Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:46 pm

one of the best tips ever there Scooby
if you break up tomatoes with anything other than your hands or the back of a spoon after cooking, you risk breaking up the seeds, which taste bitter and generally unplesant until after tehy're cooked.

rant rant rant

mysterio

Post by mysterio » Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:39 pm

Jeez, the Chilli was excellent but the extra Sol beer is disgusting - I bought four bottles. I used to swill this back quite happily before I started brewing.

Thanks for the recipe Max. I added some Chipotle hot sauce which really brought it to the next level.

maxashton

Post by maxashton » Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:06 am

Glad you enjoyed it. Sorry about the Sol. That stuff always put me to sleep. ;)

drsmurto

Post by drsmurto » Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:00 am

chilli without kidney beans :shock:

Sounds tasty tho Max, similar to the recipe i use minus the beer.

maxashton

Post by maxashton » Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:43 am

The reason for lack of veg, and beans, is my wife. She won't eat veg or beans. Including onions. So i just have a habit of taking things out. Oh and if it's not salty enough, i cook low sodium, and suggest Aromat if Knorr market it in your region.
:D

SteveD

Post by SteveD » Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:29 am

maxashton wrote:The reason for lack of veg, and beans, is my wife. She won't eat veg or beans. Including onions.
:D
wabbout the garlic? No garlic either?

:shock:

Pressure cookers are brilliant. Curry in 10 minutes - once you've fried everything up. Bolognese in 20 mins. Ours get used almost daily.