Making malt vineger

Fed up with just drinking your homebrew? Post here if you want to talk about using beer in food recipes! Or if you just want to share something about food.
crafty john

Making malt vineger

Post by crafty john » Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:50 pm

Hi all
I have a few pints of john bull bitter that has been in the keg for far too long and I am going to chuck it away as it has well passed its best, it was never that great to begin with. Has anyone ever made vinegar from beer? I seem to remember reading somewhere that you put it in a demijohn and plug with cotton wool to let the air get to it and it turns into vinegar. seems a shame to pour it down the sink when I could use it to make my Christmas pickles and chutneys.

Beeru

Re: Making malt vineger

Post by Beeru » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:03 am

Sounds interesting. Did you try / test ?

Manx Guy

Post by Manx Guy » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:00 pm

Hi,

You could try it... But personally I'd be too worried about the acetic acid producing bacteria infect subsequent brews of beer.

I understand that best results are acheived by ensuring that the beer is well areated to give the acetobacter a chance to ferment out any remaining maltose...
To be honest you will most likely end up with vinergary beer rather than malt vinegar as you know it.. As the yeast has already turned about 70-80% of the available maltose to Alcohol (& CO2)

If you want totry it and capture 'mother of vinegar' ( MOV - the ropey substance that contains the acetobacter) then you could make a simple unhopped wort and then inoculate the new 'wort' with the MOV
and leave for a month or so to turn to vinegar.

If you do try it let us know how you get on...

:)
Guy

Trunky

Post by Trunky » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:42 pm

Last edited by Trunky on Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Manx Guy

Post by Manx Guy » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:10 pm

Hi Trunky
Thanks for putting me straight there...

I wasn't sure whether it was the ethanol or the actual maltose the acetobacter converted... But I do now :D

Do you find that normal sanitisation reduces the risks of your other brewws getting infected? Or do you need to take extra ordinary precautions?

Is it easier to make vinegar in summer? Due toth eflies the warmth and the fflora that seems to be lfying around (Wild yeasts etc)

Guy

Trunky

Post by Trunky » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:14 pm

Last edited by Trunky on Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WishboneBrewery
CBA Prizewinner 2010

Post by WishboneBrewery » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:35 am

Interesting stuff...
So this 'Mother' can this be still active bacteria in the sediment of Red Wine vinegar etc? re: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mother_of_vinegar
Sounds like an Interesting use for beer I don't want ha ha, but does the hopping spoil the taste?

Birdman

Post by Birdman » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:26 pm

Very interesting. Once made an all grain wort for use as a starter but forgot about it for a couple of weeks and some of it went all stringy / snotty. Didn't realise that was the beginnings of a mother. Just one more thing I can try in future...

But will defo keep it away from my fermentation room.

Trunky

Post by Trunky » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:29 pm