Free food!

Fed up with just drinking your homebrew? Post here if you want to talk about using beer in food recipes! Or if you just want to share something about food.
Maxwell

Post by Maxwell » Tue May 29, 2007 10:48 pm

Just found out using the interactive map that there's some crayfish not far from here! Going to have to pick myself up one of those traps!!!

Just thought I'd mention, Chicken Of The Woods (Laetiporus sulphureus) is up at the moment. There's nothing poisonous you can get it mixed up with but make sure you don't pick any growing from Yew! Be sure to pick it early though or else it can get a bit tough!

Vossy1

Post by Vossy1 » Tue May 29, 2007 11:49 pm

That's just greedy M :D
sulphureus
On the way out too I bet :D

The Cardinal

Post by The Cardinal » Wed May 30, 2007 12:35 pm

How do you ensure no toe-rag has it away with your spangly new net
What I do is lob the trap out, tied to about 6 feet of nylon cord. I then submerge the nylon cord and either tie it to underwater roots, or discreetly secure it low down to a tree or something. No one's really gonna notice a peice of thread going into the water, and they won't be able to see the trap if you bung it out far enough. You can always hide the cord with bits of twigs and long grass too. I think the issue over the licence is causing some confusion: in certain parts of the country you don't need a licence to KEEP crayfish (i.e. in a tank or pond) and in some parts you do. You do actually need an Environment Agency licence to fish for them anywhere in the country (in theory at least!), although how on earth they'd ever catch you if didn't have one is beyond me! :D

johnmac
Under the Table

Post by johnmac » Wed May 30, 2007 4:42 pm

Maxwell, can you post a link to that interactive Signal Crayfish map, please?

Andy
Virtually comatose but still standing

Post by Andy » Wed May 30, 2007 4:53 pm

johnmac wrote:Maxwell, can you post a link to that interactive Signal Crayfish map, please?
http://www.searchnbn.net/interactive/ma ... 0000377494
Dan!

johnmac
Under the Table

Post by johnmac » Wed May 30, 2007 5:37 pm

Cheers Andy!

Maxwell

Post by Maxwell » Wed May 30, 2007 10:56 pm

Not Chanterelles unfortunately DaaB, look more like Clitocybes to me, nothing worth eating :(

On the subjct of mushrooms I took this pic of an experimental stew bubbling away on my stove!

Stewing Steak braised in Stout with Wild Mushrooms (Ceps/Porcini), should be good!

Vossy1

Post by Vossy1 » Wed May 30, 2007 10:59 pm

Maxwell....you are pure evil :shock:

I log on to get some casual chat and instead, I end up heading for the kitchen :evil:

Do you do take away's :D

Maxwell

Post by Maxwell » Wed May 30, 2007 11:28 pm

I leave the ones that are infested with them DaaB.The ones with a couple of maggot holes don't worry me, they just crawl out during the drying process anyway!