yorkshire pudding recipe please

Fed up with just drinking your homebrew? Post here if you want to talk about using beer in food recipes! Or if you just want to share something about food.
mrbenbod

Re: yorkshire pudding recipe please

Post by mrbenbod » Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:19 pm

They look good too adm.
I am concerned by that bowl of wee green foulness next to your yorkies.
Pure evil!

adm

Post by adm » Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:34 pm

mrbenbod wrote:They look good too adm.
I am concerned by that bowl of wee green foulness next to your yorkies.
Pure evil!
:shock:

I live in Surrey. You can be prosecuted here if you don't eat olives.

anomalous_result

Post by anomalous_result » Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:49 pm

Can I just recommend free range eggs as fresh as you can get them. They come out yellow with good eggs.

subsub

Post by subsub » Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:01 am

Fantastic with stewed Venison :D

lordnoise

Post by lordnoise » Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:22 pm

"Mmmm, now where is the roast beef, gravy & home made red wine to go with these!"

They look brilliant Horden and theres deffo nothing wrong with a good red wine homemade or otherwise with roast beef BUT ... I have 2 questions (especially on a predominantly beery site) ...

1) What beer would your averagely well off Brit have chosen to go with his/her roast beef and yerkshires in the 18th and 19th centuries ? And ...
2) What beer do folks on here choose to drink nowadays with thier Sunday lunches ? :)

adm

Post by adm » Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:52 pm

lordnoise wrote:"Mmmm, now where is the roast beef, gravy & home made red wine to go with these!"

They look brilliant Horden and theres deffo nothing wrong with a good red wine homemade or otherwise with roast beef BUT ... I have 2 questions (especially on a predominantly beery site) ...

1) What beer would your averagely well off Brit have chosen to go with his/her roast beef and yerkshires in the 18th and 19th centuries ? And ...
2) What beer do folks on here choose to drink nowadays with thier Sunday lunches ? :)
I just had 3 pints of Spitfire with mine. In a local pub. Very nice too.....

Cheshire-cheese

Post by Cheshire-cheese » Thu May 07, 2009 8:32 pm

My recipe for a 12 hole muffin tin is:
6 oz plain flour
a few grindings of salt and pepper
2 eggs

whisk, gradually adding
10 fl oz milk

leave on the work top for half an hour whilst you finish the roast.
Add a small tsp of goose fat (or other dripping) to each hole
Place in oven 230 deg C for 10 - 15 minutes to get hot
Swiftly divide the batter equally to each hole (about half way up each one)
Return to the oven for 15 - 20 min.

Laugh with derision at Aunt Bessie's offerings.

ADDLED

Post by ADDLED » Tue May 12, 2009 10:37 pm

mrbenbod wrote:Horden Hillbilly,
the yorkies in your pic look fantastic, but how do you get that perfect 'dimple/hole-type-thing' in the middle, mine come out like mini bloated footballs.
Do you need special tins?
Hi Ben, the dimples occur because the sides of the tin are hotter than the centre so the batter rises a lot more and the centre doesnt. Follow the advise about temperature, preheating tins, getting the fat smoking hot and NEVER opening the oven door for at least 20 mins and they will rise that way too.

Also make the batter well in advance as per HH. I dont make yorkies a lot but i do make bread and pizza dough a lot and find if i make it the day before its a much better flavour and quality. For bread I keep a starter of the previous batch's dough to use in the next batch, and if you do that a few times the flavour and texture improves with each generation. So HHs wifes technique of making the batter early sounds sensible in a similar way as all the ingredients get to know each other.

shazza

Post by shazza » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:25 pm

This might be construed as heresy but I put a teaspoon of baking powder into my batter (which has been mixed and rested for between 30 mins. and several hours) immediately prior to putting in the oven.This results in a lighter,well-risen pud.If you like stodge-like pud avoid this addition.
P.S.I sometimes make my batter 50/50 beer and milk but only if I'm using Strong White Flour.

EccentricDyslexic

Post by EccentricDyslexic » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:46 am

Simple and relaiable method and easy to remeber-

1 egg
100g plain flour
1/4 pint of milk
pinch of salt

waz-it-up with a blender

heat up a cupcake tray with each cupcake pot filled with a teaspoon of oil, heat it up the the oven or as i do, over a gas flame until each pot of oil is nice and hot/smoking

pour some mixture into each pot, about half full is fine

then shove it in the oven, above the roast, for about 20mins

done!

love the cream and jam idea...will defo try that one out!

Steve

adm

Post by adm » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:08 pm

EccentricDyslexic wrote: heat up a cupcake tray with each cupcake pot filled with a teaspoon of oil, heat it up the the oven or as i do, over a gas flame until each pot of oil is nice and hot/smoking
Definitely needs to be smoking hot before you pour the batter in......but.....oil is heresy!

I normally pull the roast out of the oven half an hour before serving, then drain the fat from the pan and use that for the Yorkies.....mmmm....beef dripping! Then the Yorkies go into the oven turned up high for 20 mins, which also crisps off the roast spuds nicely too.

Oooh....I'd love a roast dinner this weekend, but I'm going to be stuck on a bloody plane to Shanghai all day :cry:

Jerry Cornelius

Post by Jerry Cornelius » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:57 pm

Aunt Bessies. Sh*t did I say that out loud?? :twisted:

dannable

Post by dannable » Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:58 am

What's a cupcake??

softlad

Post by softlad » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:11 pm

anomalous_result wrote:Can I just recommend free range eggs as fresh as you can get them. They come out yellow with good eggs.
Agreed

My puddings are light, crispy and have a really yellow colour to the 'un-crisp' bits

You can see the difference as soon as the batter is mixed

Dr. Dextrin

Post by Dr. Dextrin » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:50 pm

Bit late I know, but my tips are:

Use a heavy pan - the thicker the better. Avoid those silicone baking trays as they're rubbish. When heating the fat, cover the pan loosely with foil so you can get it really hot without splattering the oven. Wash the pan by hand (not in the dishwasher) or it'll end up sticking.