yorkshire pudding recipe please

Fed up with just drinking your homebrew? Post here if you want to talk about using beer in food recipes! Or if you just want to share something about food.
torchwood brewery

yorkshire pudding recipe please

Post by torchwood brewery » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:48 am

has anyone got a half decent yorkshire pudding recipe with a method?

my gran used to make theese and they were huge with a big dip in the middle to put gravy in .

but all the one i have tried seem to turn out like pancakes or squished scones

what am i doing wrong?

i also want to make toad in the hole . now that is the best with any pint or three.

richard :cry: :D

BigEd

Post by BigEd » Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:18 am

Ah, Yorkshire pudding, what a great old dish. I don't have a recipe in gms and ml as the one I use is from an old American book but perhaps it will at least give you a starting point.

2 eggs @ room temperature
1 cup milk (236.5 ml) @ room temperature
1 cup flour (~150 gm)
1/2 tsp salt
drippings from the roast, beef of course

Preheat oven to 235C along with a heavy baking pan containing a couple of ounces (~60 ml) of drippings. You can use the roasting pan from the beef if you like. It will smoke some while heating, it's OK.

Beat eggs with milk; sift flour & salt together and stir into the liquid mixture; beat until well blended. Take the hot pan and brush or carefully tilt it to lube the sides with some of the hot drippings. Quickly pour the batter into the pan and return to the oven, baking at 235C for ten minutes. Reduce heat to 175C and continue cooking for another 15 to 20 minutes or until the pudding is nicely puffed, stable and browned at the peaks and edges. Cut into pieces and serve immediately.

If there are any tricks to this dish they are temperature control and working without delay. The ingredients need to be at room temperature prior to working, the oven needs to be hot and the pudding needs to get into and out of the oven quickly. This recipe is for four diners and it can be easily scaled to double that.

torchwood brewery

Post by torchwood brewery » Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:13 am

thanks mate and your from the USA too wow you like yorkshire pud?

well i am going to have a go at this one .
will have to get a good baking tray and some bits first.

thanks
richard :D :D

BigEd

Post by BigEd » Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:44 am

torchwood brewery wrote:thanks mate and your from the USA too wow you like yorkshire pud?
Love it. My family lineage does go back to the UK and roast beef and Yorkshire pudding was always a popular special meal with my Mother and Grandmother. Nowadays I've been trying to keep the tradition going at Holiday time. I do a pretty fair Christmas pudding too. :wink:

torchwood brewery

Post by torchwood brewery » Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:33 am

big ed

thats just fantastic more people should IMO keep some sort of family traditions as it keeps families stable especially theese days . too many families break down because lack of stability .but whats better than all sitting down to a sunday meal together to talk and laugh and share . alot of what i see today is just one big grab for what you can get .

i have very fond memories off my gran cooking on a Sunday and grandad sitting in the living room watching the football and the family sitting round the table eating together.

i guess i am just an old fashiond lad at heart .
richard :D

BlightyBrewer

Post by BlightyBrewer » Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:53 am

I've always found that the batter should be cooled in the fridge prior to a final whisk and pouring into the heated, well oiled (or larded) tray. Also, make sure you get a lot of air into the batter, and the oven should be hot (200-220C). Do not disturb the puds during cooking otherwise they will fall flat.

I love yorkshire pud! Hey BigEd, have you tried "toad in the hole"?

Mrobs

Post by Mrobs » Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:41 pm

Hi
This guy is usually spot on with traditional British cooking http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/datab ... 1853.shtml

Mr blue
Piss Artist

Post by Mr blue » Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:20 pm

BlightyBrewer wrote:I've always found that the batter should be cooled in the fridge prior to a final whisk and pouring into the heated, well oiled (or larded) tray. Also, make sure you get a lot of air into the batter, and the oven should be hot (200-220C). Do not disturb the puds during cooking otherwise they will fall flat.

I love yorkshire pud! Hey BigEd, have you tried "toad in the hole"?
always leave ours in the fridge for at least 1/2 hour before putting in the oven, sometimes put a tablespoon of worcestershire sauce in the batter :)
"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza." ~ Dave Barry

charlie
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by charlie » Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:54 pm

imho the batter is best made the day before and kept in the fridge, something to do with gluten I vaguely remember but I'm not sufficiently anally retentive to be able to prepare this far ahead.
Brewing in the badlands between Arnside and Milnthorpe.
Cumbria

J_P

Post by J_P » Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:39 am

My Ma's secret is to get the lard in the bottom of the pudding tin really hot before adding the batter, that way the batter that hits the fat first cooks and prevents the pudding sticking and gives it a "gravy proof" base.

Unfortunately I can't help you with quantities in the recipe as i usually do mine by eye.

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:03 pm

Getting the dripping smoking hot is the trick, I put the tray over a burner on the hob while I am pouring the batter in to minimise heat loss and then get it into the oven pronto.

maxashton

Post by maxashton » Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:19 pm

I like my yorkshire pudding sloppy and very moist!
With buckets of gravy!

None of this crispy aunt betties' bollocks.

Wez

Post by Wez » Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:26 pm

None of this crispy aunt betties' bollocks.
One of the best one liners on here IMO :lol: :lol:

Horden Hillbilly

Post by Horden Hillbilly » Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:00 pm

This is Mrs H's recipe.

200ml plain flour.
3 eggs.
A pinch of salt & pepper.
Top up with milk to 350ml mark.
Whisk well several times to make it nice & light & lump free.
Pre-heat oven to 220c before adding the mixture to the tins.
Use beef dripping rather than lard in the tins.
Bake for 20 mins at 220c, then at 200c for the last 5-10 mins.
Take them out when they have risen & are a golden brown colour.

Mrs H always does the mixture first thing in the morning then whisks it every half hour-ish until it goes in the tins.

These beauties are the end result.

Mmmm, now where is the roast beef, gravy & home made red wine to go with these! 8)

subsub

Post by subsub » Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:11 pm

DaaB wrote:Stick a couple of sausages in them and smother with onion gravy and you have a meal fit for a king :lol:
Mmmmmm Sausage Toad :flip: