Cooking with hops?

Fed up with just drinking your homebrew? Post here if you want to talk about using beer in food recipes! Or if you just want to share something about food.
CJR
Under the Table

Cooking with hops?

Post by CJR » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:25 am

I was wondering about the possibility of substituting various bits of greenery for leftover hops? One example could be to use hops instead of/with cabbage in bubble and squeak.

Has anybody ever cooked with them and if so, any recipes?
Southern Brewing

FV 1 (5 gallon): Nothing
FV 2 (5 gallon): Nothing

Commercial: More booze than some local pubs.

wilsoa11111

Re: Cooking with hops?

Post by wilsoa11111 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:33 am

also interested in this one, best use i have found so far is to make hop tea, which isnt great tbh... frankly any other use would be condidered, just seems such as waste

sunny_jimbob
Piss Artist

Post by sunny_jimbob » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:48 pm

Only just seen this. Over the summer, the local brew group had a weekend camping, and for the massed Saturday night barby, I provided some pork and cascade sausages, which went down a treat. You could use any hop and any meat I guess. I used fresh hops, but there's no reason you couldn't use spent ones.

Pork and Cascade sausages

Ingredients:
Half an onion fine chopped and caramelised
2 tbsp Cascade, blitzed in the blender
4 lb pork mince (mince your own or buy from the shops, whatever)
0.5 lb chopped and crisp fried bacon
6 cloves garlic chopped
5 tbsp Brown Sugar
5 tsp salt
3 tsp black pepper
150 ml beer - your choice, I went with stout (homebrewed of course!)

Method:
1. Combine everything in a big mixing bowl - save the beer for last, and add gradually so the texture is moist but not sloppy.
2. Take a small amount and shape it into a mini burger shape. Fry, and taste test. Adjust seasonings etc by taste.
3. Run through your sausage stuffing machine into whatever skins you use. I used standard sized hog skins.
4. Cook like normal sausages, and enjoy! I found they were best served in bread, with some sort of chutney/relish to provide a sweetness to counter the bitterness of the hops.
Planck Length Brewery
Fermenting: AG#27 Spectroscope, AG#28 Astatine
Conditioning: AG#25 Event Horizon, AG#26 Planck Postulate, Kit#9 Delta
Drinking: AG#19 - Spectral Line, AG#20 - Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle, AG#22 Inertial Confinement Fusion, AG#23 Nebula, AG#24 Olympus Mons

"Beauty is in the hand of the beerholder" brew blog | beer blog

brewtalk

Post by brewtalk » Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:55 pm

Liking the idea a few years ago, i was thinking of trying to marinate meat with spent hop pellets i never did cause its a crime in my view to ruin good steak derping around to try a idea, one day i might try it on cheap braising steak?

gonna try your burger recipe when i make my next mini mash, have you tried minced beef and pork to make burgers its amazing.