The spent grain experiment

Fed up with just drinking your homebrew? Post here if you want to talk about using beer in food recipes! Or if you just want to share something about food.
sbond10
Even further under the Table
Location: Warrington England usually drunk or being mithered by my 2yr old or wife

The spent grain experiment

Post by sbond10 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:28 am

Part 1

So after my first all grain brew I decided to try and make some bread. So here's the first recipe

300g plain flour
300g spent grain
1 1/4 tsp salt
2 tsp sugar
25g butter
Sachet of bread yeast
300ml tepid water

Combine all the ingrediant s then rub in the butter then add the yeast add the water bit by bit until you have a dough.
Cook at gas mark 8 for 35 minutes or until ypu get the hollow tap.

Verdict
Epic fail the moisture starsed oozing out of the grain once the tepid water went creating a huge sticky mess added more flour until I could get it to knead still really sticky. Kneaded and allowed to prove cane back 2 hours later. Dough had risen but had gone back to being more sticky.
Threw on a tray bloomer style rather than loaf tin.35 mins in and not even close so flipped it over and cooked some more and kept repeating this every ten minutes until we around an hour twenty and it just started burning. Allowed to cool and cut dough still raw n soggy

Next step
Take 200g s and dry um in oven for an hour at gas mark 1 then repeat the above recipe.

Take 100g of raw wet spent grains and repeat part 1

Any other ideas please feel free to chip in part 2 coming soon with spent grain from a porter

jack_c

Re: The spent grain experiment

Post by jack_c » Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:49 pm

I do 3 cup spent grain to 5 cups strong white flour. Make a starter with1.5 cups warm water mixed with 50g sugar and yeast, leave for 30 mins. Mix the lot together, knead for 15 mins with a dough hook with a Kenwood chef. Leave to rise for a few hours, beat down, leave to prove in a big kinda loaf shape balluntil double the size, cover in olive oil, salt, black pepper and caraway seeds. Bake for 45 mins with a bain Marie (dish of boiling water) to soften the crust.

It's heavy but fine

sbond10
Location: Warrington England usually drunk or being mithered by my 2yr old or wife

Post by sbond10 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 2:19 pm

Jesus now that's proper bread recope puts my effort to shame

linda001

Post by linda001 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:38 am

[quote="sbond10"]Jesus now that's proper bread recope puts my effort to shame[/quote]

Why is that?

JamesF
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by JamesF » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:40 pm

I'd not thought of this before. We've made all our own bread for years. My wife is getting quite heavily into making her own sourdough at the moment. I think we might have to have a go next time I'm brewing. If it doesn't work out I'm sure the chickens will still eat it, which is what usually happens to the spent grain anyhow.

James

sbond10

Post by sbond10 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:41 pm

If you have time spent grain flour is the easiest way to incorporate it into the bread plenty of guides out there

basswulf
Piss Artist

Post by basswulf » Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:33 am

sbond10 wrote:If you have time spent grain flour is the easiest way to incorporate it into the bread plenty of guides out there
Do you mean dry it and grind it?

I haven't done that; when I've used spend grain in baking, I've normally used it spread on top of the bread after the final shaping, which provides an attractive crust, rather than mixed into the dough itself.

Wulf

sbond10

Post by sbond10 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:49 pm

Yes wulf that's what I mean