Guide: My First Homebrew

A pre-moderated forum for linking to affiliated brewing organisations and sites of special interest.
Wako

Post by Wako » Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:25 am

I changed the appearance. I think it looks more professional...
Discuss :P

oblivious

Post by oblivious » Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:16 am

Got to have a look over the weekend, looks good

Wako

Post by Wako » Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:07 pm

Thanks everyone for your interest! I've gotten a host, and now you can see my guide at : http://wako.ca. It should work, even for those for who it didn't work in the past.

I've also added a video tutorial to mead Brewing, and will soon add the video of my first Irish Red Ale!

Enjoy, and thanks!

PieOPah

Post by PieOPah » Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:41 pm

Wako wrote: I've also added a video tutorial to mead Brewing, and will soon add the video of my first Irish Red Ale!
Will be watching the mead tutorial with interest. This is something I want to try in the near future :)

Edit Just finished watching it. Good tutorial. But what happens next? You have added honey (how much water did you use?). How long do you leave to ferment and mature etc....

Really want to make mead so this helps a lot :D
Last edited by PieOPah on Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wako

Post by Wako » Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:46 pm

Im sorry I didn't say it first. The mead tutorial is in french, with english subtitles. Hope you're still interested :)

Wako

Post by Wako » Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:03 pm

PieOPah wrote: Edit Just finished watching it. Good tutorial. But what happens next? You have added honey (how much water did you use?). How long do you leave to ferment and mature etc....

Really want to make mead so this helps a lot :D
We used 18L of water, and we left it in primary for 10 days, now it's in the secondary. We got problems on the 2nd day, the room fell at 17 degree celcius, but for the rest of the fermentation we got it back to 21 degrees, and after shaking it a little, it started fermenting properly again. We're going to keep it in the secondary for a total of 3 weeks to 1 month (more if needed) and videos of the next steps are going to be published soon ;)

PieOPah

Post by PieOPah » Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:22 pm

Look forward to the next vids. Post when they are up :)

PieOPah

Post by PieOPah » Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:26 pm

Oh yeah, and how much yeast nutrient did you use? That seemed like quite a large bag being poured in....

One of the reasons I haven't made mead yet is because of 'acid blend' or something like that. A mix of citric acid and something else.

No idea what it is for but I see you are pure water & honey.....

Wako

Post by Wako » Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:37 pm

Haha! Funny you ask, I was going to post it on the website when I add explainations on the questions you asked. We used 55grams of nutrients, which is way too much if we use the guide's standards. They recommand 12 to 18 grams. But we didn't read it... the yeast nutrients is basically dead yeast, all the proteins, vitamins and other nutrients that yeast will need to reproduce itself. We figured that whatever we added was already there, in a smaller quantity. Also, the honey we used had relatively low "nutritive value". I'll let you guys know the evolution.

If you want to base yourself on our guide, I suggest you wait a little tho, till we bottle at least. That's when we'll be able to tell if it was good enough :)

When we transfered to 2nd, my brother broke our hydrometer, so we don't know the exact gravity, but we know it's lower than 1030. It still had a strong taste of honey, and had a delicate taste of alcohol (it should be at around 3-4% alcohol so far, possibly more. But we both were glad when we saw there was no unpleasant taste. I think we're on the right track!

Wako

Post by Wako » Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:16 pm

Part 3 (transfer to secondary) is up for Mead. :)

Wako

Post by Wako » Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:09 pm

New video on an All-Grain Irish Red Ale! Check it out!

prodigal2

Post by prodigal2 » Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:46 pm

Would love to veiw the Irish red AG vid. But Div-X wont install on firefox 2.02 for a mac running 10.4.
Any Ideas Wako? as I like your site as a whole just can't view your streamed content. :(

Yup I do have Div-X installed as a media player in my aps, so this makes it all the more fustrating. Do you have a direct link to the media so I can download it in total and the view on Div-X?

maxashton

Post by maxashton » Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:02 am

par excellence ;)

Wako

Post by Wako » Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:06 am

prodigal2 wrote:Would love to veiw the Irish red AG vid. But Div-X wont install on firefox 2.02 for a mac running 10.4.
Any Ideas Wako? as I like your site as a whole just can't view your streamed content. :(

Yup I do have Div-X installed as a media player in my aps, so this makes it all the more fustrating. Do you have a direct link to the media so I can download it in total and the view on Div-X?
Funny... I'm running 10.4 on all my comps at home, and they play fine under both Safari and Firefox...

I remember installing was tricky on my C2D iMac. I think I had to uninstall the old drivers and then reinstall the 6.6 version, which you can find over at http://divx.com. I'd try that, and if that doesn't work and you can wait one more day, I'll be done compiling and uploading the video onto YouTube. The the subtitles are hard to read... hmmm

Try uninstalling the old DivX and installing the new one. Hope that helps :). If it doesnt, we'll work something else!

maxashton

Post by maxashton » Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:10 am

Hey Waco, send us some of that aseptox stuff :P