UK Brewery on US Homebrew Radio

A pre-moderated forum for linking to affiliated brewing organisations and sites of special interest.
Phil_L

UK Brewery on US Homebrew Radio

Post by Phil_L » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:05 pm

For those of you who know the Brewing Network, had the pleasure of being out with them again, with Justin from Moor Beer and James from the Queens Arms, Corton Denham.

Have a listen to this, here.

Trefoyl
Even further under the Table

Re: UK Brewery on US Homebrew Radio

Post by Trefoyl » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:09 am

Thanks for posting - I learned quite a bit and they answered some questions I had as well!
Sommeliers recommend that you swirl a glass of wine and inhale its bouquet before throwing it in the face of your enemy.

mysterio

Post by mysterio » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:09 am

I'll take a look, thanks.

awalker
Under the Table

Post by awalker » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:44 pm

<Rant>
I had to swear at the mp3 player several times while listening too this.
Dont get me wrong its good they were both on, but they made the UK sound like a place you can only get good beer if it is brewed at Moor beer.

I know we are not perfect, but they made us sound backwards.
Then a brewer rings up from the UK and says he has a Kegerator but no one else knows what that is! (or something along those lines.)

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
</Rant>
Thankyou I feel better now :oops:

Or is it just me.
It might have just been the day I was having when I listened to it.
Fermenter(s): Lambic, Wheat beer, Amrillo/Cascade Beer
Cornys: Hobgoblin clone, Four Shades Stout, Wheat Beer, Amarillo/Cascade Ale, Apple Wine, Cider, Damson Wine, Ginger Beer

Trefoyl
Even further under the Table

Post by Trefoyl » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:37 pm

It was an interesting program to a point, at least they explained the low abv thing that I was wondering about.
In the US 3.8% abv beer is available only on military bases and previously in Oklahoma but they revised their liquor laws. Most micro beers start at 5.6 and go up from there. They're not safe to indulge in. I gave some 3.8% homebrew to a friend and he wouldn't believe me, he couldn't understand how it could have so much flavor. Something Americans definitely need to learn, among other things.
The tone of the program was annoying and obnoxious. Some people think that's cool for some reason. The Duffman-esque commercials were the limit. I imagine they're targeting the brain dead crowd that drinks Michelob.
I pared down my rant as much as I could, sorry.
There were other nice things said about British beer, for example the pace and atmosphere of the British beer festivals sounds much more appealing than in the US. I never knew that.
Also while listening, I was drinking some amazing Lancaster Bomber from GW's book, with some fantastic beer brats, mash potatoes and mushy peas, so that disposed me to be in a good mood.
Sommeliers recommend that you swirl a glass of wine and inhale its bouquet before throwing it in the face of your enemy.

Phil_L

Post by Phil_L » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:15 pm

awalker wrote:<Rant>
I had to swear at the mp3 player several times while listening too this.
Dont get me wrong its good they were both on, but they made the UK sound like a place you can only get good beer if it is brewed at Moor beer.

I know we are not perfect, but they made us sound backwards.
Then a brewer rings up from the UK and says he has a Kegerator but no one else knows what that is! (or something along those lines.)

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
</Rant>
Thankyou I feel better now :oops:

Or is it just me.
It might have just been the day I was having when I listened to it.
Hey,

I am so pleased that you took the time to listen to the show. That particular show was centered around Moor Beer, as they had taken the time to go out to san francisco, as had I, to be on the show as well as part take in the excellent SF Beer week.

I am equally pleased that you think that it was good that the three of us were on the show, but it was billed as the Moor beer show, with James and I adding in where we could, I remember clearly suggesting to Justin (of the Brewing Network) that I'd like to highlight brewers such as Gadds of Ramsgate, Marble in Manchester, Thornbridge, Lovibonds et al, as something of a reference to quality new wave brewing ideas with influence from the US, whilst maintaining the core values/demands of the British Brewing scene. Of course there are breweries like Harveys, a brewery close to my heart, but we also have a number of breweries and brewers that really don't get the love abroad that many Belgian or certainly US brewers get on the world stage. I work hard at Beermerchants and via the many friends that I have around the world to help comunicate the current state of play, in beer, brewing and the surrounding entities in a light hearted and accessible fashion.

as for Soilboy's Kegerator - really how many people have a kegerator in the UK? I do, I guess you have one? but, ask someone in the median of the home/pro brewingscene what a Kegerator is, I am sure they will be asking what one is...

I would whole heartedly recommend anyone experience the SF beer week, the number of excellent festivals and occasions in beer that really are amazing - yet different to what we have here. Perhaps we could take a leaf from their books, and they ours - beer is amazing at the moment and people are sharing ideas looking for the best experience they can get - I hope that in that I have in my limited capacity helped people get there.