Save water with free device

A pre-moderated forum for linking to affiliated brewing organisations and sites of special interest.
dynamic dave

Save water with free device

Post by dynamic dave » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:04 pm

As you have probably realised that brewing uses alot of water cleaning rinsing etc so i found this free device for showers i have not got it yet but they claim is suitable for all non-electric showers and regulates the flow rate of a shower to 7.8 litres per minute.
For a 2-person household, the eaga ShowerSmart will typically save more than 12,000 litres per year*, cut carbon emissions by 1 tonne* of CO2 over its lifetime and save about £20* on gas and £20* on water bills (where metered) per year.

For the average family, this would equate to savings of about £30 off their gas bills and over £30 off their water bills (where metered) per year.

Please note - the ShowerSmart unit is available free to residents of Great Britain on a one per household basis. Please visit http://www.eaga.com/freeshowersmart for more details (multiple orders will not be processed).

http://www.eaga.com/freeshowersmart

sparky Paul

Re: Save water with free device

Post by sparky Paul » Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:16 pm

Why has the man in pic 1 got the shower to his tab?

http://ekmpowershop9.com/ekmps/shops/ea ... us-1-w.asp

I'm all for anything free! \:D/

Wolfy

Post by Wolfy » Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:39 am

Due to the drought here, 'water flow reducers' and 'reduced flow shower heads' are mandatory in all new homes and the government (and water companies) are doing all they can to 'encourage' everyone else to install similar devices. i have one, and at first it seemed that there was hardly enough water to get wet/clean, SWMBO refuses to use one.
The 'water reduction' schemes went so far here, they even sent everyone an 'egg timer' to stick in the shower so that you are encouraged to have only 3 min showers.

dynamic dave

Post by dynamic dave » Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:57 am

And it's cold water! :D

boingy

Post by boingy » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:52 am

Wolfy's point is the important one. The devices is basically a flow restrictor, so your shower becomes less shower-like. There's nothing worse than a lame shower. And watch out for those "typical savings" illustrations. They are usually based on very unrealistic scenarios because it is their interests to put the best possible shine on the savings. If you try one, make sure it is easy to remove again!

vacant
Even further under the Table

Post by vacant » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:56 am

Hang on. If you go to the trouble of fitting this device it just constricts the flow ... like not turning the taps on quite as much?

What has saved huge amounts of water here with our old cisterns are a couple of these. A rip-off price for a few bits of plastic but we've had them a few years now and they last. It taps into the syphon so that as soon as the handle returns, the flush stops. So you can allow even a 1 or 2 second flush using just 1 or two litres. If you've done a whopper and need a full flush you just hold the handle down until the cistern has completely emptied (6-9 litres?), as it would every time without these fitted.

edit: not sure where I got mine from, there was a discount £25 for two at the time.
I brew therefore I ... I .... forget

kay-jay

Post by kay-jay » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:10 am

actually its not like turning the taps on a bit less!

these flow restrictor devices make no alteration to the delivery pressure, but the restriction causes an increase in velocity as the the same pressure operates through narrower channels. the increased velocity means that while using less water the shower still feels like a shower.

KJ

sparky Paul

Post by sparky Paul » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:27 am

Can't really see me fitting this to a shower, but I like a challenge and will think of some use for a it... :-k

vacant
Even further under the Table

Post by vacant » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:15 am

Chris-x1 wrote:Image
Nice brew-day pic - what was the grain bill? :wink:
I brew therefore I ... I .... forget