Making Indian restaurant/take away style curry at home

A pre-moderated forum for linking to affiliated brewing organisations and sites of special interest.
floydmeddler
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Making Indian restaurant/take away style curry at home

Post by floydmeddler » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:22 am

Hi all,

I joined an Indian curry making forum a few months back. Basically the forum administrator's (Cory Ander) aim is to recreate the British style Indian restaurant curry experience at home. A lot of the recipes come from Indian restaurants from around the country and while we here at JBK go on brewery tours with note pads, these curry heads visit their local curry houses for demos then give all the secrets away on the forum afterwards!

Basically, every curry house has its own house base sauce/gravy. This sauce/gravy will be the backbone to all the curries created in that restaurant. One of the forum members found out the base sauce for the Saffron Indian restaurant in Lincoln and shared it on the forum. I make a large batch of this and freeze it. One batch makes me 17 curries!

The actual curry making part is really easy. I can knock up a curry in around 15 mins. Obviously that doesn't include making the rice.

If you like Indian curry house food and enjoy cooking, join the forum!! http://cr0.co.uk/curry/index.php

Here are pictures of my curries. I can 100% confirm, these curries ARE the curry house style curries I've always dreamed about creating at home.

Making the base sauce/gravy:

After cooking for a while and whizzing it up:

Making the chicken Tika. Have since bought skewers!

And finally, the finished Garlic Chili Chicken:

Here are my curries and Chapatti bread from last week:

Chicken Jalfrezzi. Tasted amazing - just what I'd expect from a good quality curry house. However, I'd like it to be redder next time so will use a different chilli powder.

Jalfrezzi, Pilau rice, Chapatti bread and more Garlic Chilli Chicken.

I've also made Chicken Korma, Dhansak and Madras. The Madras is the easiest to make. Basically base sauce, spices and whatever meat you want.

I don't want to give the recipes away here as I think it would be discourteous to do so. Join up if you're interested. You won't regret it. :wink:

http://cr0.co.uk/curry/index.php

Mmmmm curry......

EccentricDyslexic

Re: Making Indian restaurant/take away style curry at home

Post by EccentricDyslexic » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:46 am

I.ve been a member for some time too! I use the late great darthpharls base sauce personaly...im famous for me currys in my french locality, so can vouce for cr0 website! ps note that the "0" in cr0 is a number ,not a letter "o"

Steve

sparky Paul

Post by sparky Paul » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:51 am

I came across this forum many years ago, not long after it started up. It is rather good!

trucker5774
Falling off the Barstool

Post by trucker5774 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:08 pm

Just joined....looking forward to finding out how to get that authentic taste "that they all have" I guess it's the ghee and the base sauce........don't know what to do with them yet. Been making good curries for years but want to get that "real" taste.
John

Drinking/Already drunk........ Trucker's Anti-Freeze (Turbo Cider), Truckers Delight, Night Trucker, Rose wine, Truckers Hitch, Truckers Revenge, Trucker's Lay-by, Trucker's Trailer, Flower Truck, Trucker's Gearshift, Trucker's Horn, Truck Crash, Fixby Gold!

Conditioning... Doing what? Get it down your neck! ........

FV 1............
FV 2............
FV 3............
Next Brews..... Trucker's Jack Knife

floydmeddler

Post by floydmeddler » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:20 pm

trucker5774 wrote:Just joined....looking forward to finding out how to get that authentic taste "that they all have" I guess it's the ghee and the base sauce........don't know what to do with them yet. Been making good curries for years but want to get that "real" taste.
Good man! Keep us posted. Really is brilliant.

adm

Post by adm » Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:12 pm

Excellent stuff. I think I'll sign up myself.

There's an excellent (if somewhat old) book on this called "The Curry Secret" and I've been using the recipes from that for a while. It uses the same base sauce approach. In fact, I think I posted on a thread with curry sauce making pics on here a while back. Ah yes....here it is: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=20308&p=243034&hil ... et#p243034

http://www.thecurrysecret.co.uk/

Looks like there's now a "New Curry Secret" book too......click, clickety click....that's on it's way to me now. Isn't Amazon great....

floydmeddler

Post by floydmeddler » Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:02 pm

Checked out your link. Those curries look goooooooood! Plan on doing another curry night in 2 weeks time. Can't wait!

Jack Hackett

Post by Jack Hackett » Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:41 pm

Kris Dhillon's "Curry Secret" books are worth a read too, I have both ;)
http://www.thecurrysecret.co.uk/About%2 ... index.html
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kris-Dhillon/e/B0034Z7KD8

Horden Hillbilly

Post by Horden Hillbilly » Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:31 pm

That looks great, thanks for sharing it with us.

Trunky

:)

Post by Trunky » Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:48 pm

:)
Last edited by Trunky on Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Beer O'Clock
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by Beer O'Clock » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:39 am

I just signed up as well. What a great site.

Let the cooking begin !!
I buy from The Malt Miller

There's Howard Hughes in blue suede shoes, smiling at the majorettes smoking Winston cigarettes. .

Hawkinspm

Post by Hawkinspm » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:14 am

Great link - just joined!! Been trying to get this right for ages... :D

mysterio

Post by mysterio » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:18 am

I used the principles from The Curry Secret book, I think it was that book anyway.

It's all in the base gravy, loads of onions, garlic and ginger, blended and cooked for hours. If tomato is used it should be an accent, not the base. The problem is the stench when you're cooking the stuff, your clothes and house will smell like a curry house for weeks.

befuggled

Post by befuggled » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:48 pm

It was not that many years ago (5-10?) that there were no tomatoes in (typical UK) Indian or Chinese cooking.

As someone who has a very severe allergy to tomatoes I now have to be very careful :-& :cry:

leedsbrew

Post by leedsbrew » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:13 pm

Cheers for the link matey. Gonna get myself signed up!

I've had the curry secret book since vein a student in Bradford! All the Asian supermarkets are a cracking place to get herbs and spices! Loads cheaper that normal supermarkets!