Making Indian restaurant/take away style curry at home

A pre-moderated forum for linking to affiliated brewing organisations and sites of special interest.
Belter

Re: Making Indian restaurant/take away style curry at home

Post by Belter » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:26 am

Also are these bases for making real curries or just Tikka masala, korma, makhani? *hides*

EccentricDyslexic

Post by EccentricDyslexic » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:04 pm

Belter wrote:Also are these bases for making real curries or just Tikka masala, korma, makhani? *hides*
...yes...REAL British Indian restaurant style curry;-) not authentic curry from India, which you probably won't have the palet for:-) generally, us Brits are softies; we like lotsa sauce and chicken off the bone!

Steve

Hanglow
Under the Table

Post by Hanglow » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:09 pm

Love curries of all types, great thread !

I make a lot at home but never do the BIR way of making base sauce as there are so many great restaurants of that type in Glasgow

Also been making lots of rotis recently, spiced ones, garlic ones, vegetable ones. Easy to do and a lot better than store bought ones

Here's a lamb Korma I make - not my recipe but I've made it many times, its a good one. very different to BIR kormas
Lamb Korma...which will mean different things to different people, but at home, it's always been a lamb dish, never chicken, it's quite spicy, not at all like the average mild Korma that restaurants do..so beware!.

1kg of lamb shoulder or leg, on the bone, and cut very small. The reason being that the technique is to fry the lamb quickly in the spices and then simmer it in yoghurt, no water added, just a splash to stop it from sticking to the pan if necessary.

1 large Onion, chopped
6 green cardamoms
6 cloves
1 tsp whole blackpepper corns
1 cinnanmon stick.
quarter tsp tumeric powder
1 tsp cumin powder
2 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp red chilli powder
2 Tbsp of Garlic/ginger paste
6 or 8 fresh green chillies, left whole, just pricked with a fork
1 large tub (500g) of good quality full fat Yoghurt
Salt to taste

Optional but very delicious: A couple of tablespoons of crushed almonds.

Heat up 2 Tbsp of oil, pop in the whole spices and when they crackle, pop in the onion and gently fry till golden.

Add the chillies, stir fry for a minute, then add the powdered spices one at a time, frying each for a minute or so before adding the next one. Then add the garlic/ginger paste and fry for another couple of minutes until the spice/oil mix is well blended. Add the almonds if you're using them and salt at this stage.

Turn up the heat, and stir fry the lamb making sure it's thoroughly coated in the spice mix..then turn down the heat and keep stir frying for at least another 5 minutes ensuring it doesn't burn.

Turn the heat right down, add in the yoghurt gradually, a couple of spoons at a time and keep mixing and stirring.

Once all the yoghurt is in and looks well blended with the spices..pop the lid on and simmer till the lamb is tender, probably about 25/30 minutes. You can add spashes of water at this stage to stop it sticking if required.

Garnish with fresh coriander and eat with plain rice or naan. Enjoy!
Belter, you can make a decent naan without a tandoor, there's a few good methods like heating up a heavy base frying pan and using that then straight under a hot grill, or between two wire racks and directly over a gas hob etc.

I tend to just make unleaved flatbreads on a bakestone (same as a tawa) as I'm a bit lazy

Belter

Post by Belter » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:24 pm

EccentricDyslexic wrote:
Belter wrote:Also are these bases for making real curries or just Tikka masala, korma, makhani? *hides*
...yes...REAL British Indian restaurant style curry;-) not authentic curry from India, which you probably won't have the palet for:-) generally, us Brits are softies; we like lotsa sauce and chicken off the bone!

Steve
I buy all of my curries from real British Indian restaurant's. I'm talking Lamb Saag, Lamb patia, lamb jalfrezi, lamb tikka mossamon.

themadhippy
Even further under the Table

Post by themadhippy » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:56 pm

not authentic curry from India, which you probably won't have the palet for:-) generally, us Brits are softies; we like lotsa sauce and chicken off the bone
speak for yerself.
i often make pancakes instead of having to remember to pick up nan bread when im out shoplifting , mix in whatever spices you fancy with an ounce or 2 of gram flour,mix with water to a smooth,but stiffish batter.fry like a pancake.eat , repeat but this time serve with curry.
Warning: The Dutch Coffeeshops products may contain drugs. Drinks containing caffeine should be used with care and moderation

Geezah

Post by Geezah » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:00 pm

No tandoor required...

http://bircurries.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=523

And yes, you can make almost any BIR curry using the base gravy as your sauce. I make a lot of mild dishes so as the kids will eat it.

Vindaloo & Madras

Last edited by Geezah on Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:18 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Geezah

Post by Geezah » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:02 pm

EccentricDyslexic wrote:

Steve
Yes, the authentic Indian dishes are altogether different.
I'm back out to Delhi end of October for my 3rd visit this year and love the food out there just as much, but it is somewhat more spicier.

Last time I was out there (middle of summer - 40c & humidity @ 80%) I had some fantastic home cooked food from the wife of the company owner I was auditing. Wonderful people and wonderful food.
I was even invited back to their home to be taught how to cook traditionally, but I didn't get enough free time to take them up on their kind offer.

Geezah

Post by Geezah » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:19 pm

Lamb samosa & tandoori chicken

floydmeddler
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by floydmeddler » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:30 pm

WOW! Nice!

Hanglow
Under the Table

Post by Hanglow » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:33 am

prawn korma I did the other day. bit sloppy looking , tasted great. I did some saffron rice too

Recipe

Ingredients

Cashew nuts 20 g
Almonds 20 g
Poppy seeds 20 g
Melon seeds 20 g

or could also use sesame seeds for any of these. Or jut use ground almonds

Onions 1 diced small or made into a paste/grated
ginger and garlic paste, 1 table spoon (tb)
cumin seeds 1 teaspoon (ts)
Coriander powder 1 ts
Cumin powder ½ ts
Chilli powder ½ ts
Yoghurt 3 tb
Cloves 3
Cardamom pods 2
Cinnamon stick 1
Bay leaves 1
Turmeric ½ ts

Salt to taste

Oil 1 tb

Cream 2 ts

Take cashew nuts, almonds, poppy seeds, melon seeds, just cover in hot water and simmer for 15 minutes, then blend and make a paste/thick sauce consistency.

Heat oil in a pan add cloves, cinnamon, cardamom, bayleaves, cumin seeds, fry it for a minute then add the onion and cook that for a minute or two, then and add ginger garlic paste and the turmeric. Cook this till for another couple of minutes then add coriander powder, cumin powder, chilli powder. I tend to add prawns now but you can add veg/chicken etc. Now you add the paste you made at the start and cook it down until it's a thick consistency. Now add the yoghurt, to stop the yoghurt splitting I temper the yoghurt by putting it in a bowl and add some of the sauce slowly a spoon at a time to bring it up to temperature, then I put that back into the korma. Pour the cream in for extra richness if you want

There's a few variations you can do, instead of the yoghurt you could use a tablespoon or so of tomatoe puree to add some acidity instead, or use coconut milk instead of either the yoghurt or the cream.

If you want a hot korma use sliced green chillies when you cook the onion.

nursebetty

Post by nursebetty » Tue May 26, 2015 12:13 pm

The link does not work, is there a new website?

Hanglow
Under the Table

Post by Hanglow » Tue May 26, 2015 6:56 pm

timely bump, I did a nice pork vindaloo recently.

Dry spices, blitzed - kashmiri chillies, cumin, mustard seeds, cinnamon bark, cloves, cardamom, peppercorns

pork marinading - added some salt, cider vinegar, eight crushed garlic cloves and a thumb of minced ginger and coconut milk

chopped onion and another couple of whole chillies. The onion is the only veg
all added and into the cooker for an hour, with some chicken stock

cooked

the rotis - self raising flour, salt, yoghurt and some water. Cooked on the bakestone then charred on the wok hob, bit of butter on top

made some cucumber and mint raita to go with it. some really shit presentation

Recommended

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Tue May 26, 2015 9:18 pm

nursebetty wrote:The link does not work, is there a new website?
http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk

bobsbeer

Post by bobsbeer » Wed May 27, 2015 8:55 am

Also try http://bircurries.co.uk/forum/index.php This site is run by Coryander. Some good recipes.

I should add that they are 'giving away' after a donation to a charity a recipe ebook which is well worthwhile. "An Introduction to British Indian Restaurant Curries"

nursebetty

Post by nursebetty » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:42 pm

That's a great Curry site
Anyone else add Coconut to their Kormas?
I noticed a few recipes they don't use coconut but I prefer it in korma :D
Once you have all the spices it's great, and when shopping I pick up a tin of coconut every so often.
Not too keen on my Indian food full of oils which is bad for you, so I only add small amount of oil.