Question on IPA's yeast scavenging.

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
MyQul

Re: Question on IPA's yeast scavenging.

Post by MyQul » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:18 pm

I love IPA's harvesting method. It's just so easy at all stages. I use a turkey baster and 250ml pop bottles. I then use the harvested yeast for 500ml starters for 10L brew lengths

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:45 am

MyQul wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:18 pm
I love IPA's harvesting method. It's just so easy at all stages. I use a turkey baster and 250ml pop bottles. I then use the harvested yeast for 500ml starters for 10L brew lengths
Glad to see you find it simple. Your avatar does make me smile. I am guessing your name is Michael MyQul. Just google "cul" in French and you will see why I smile.
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

MyQul

Post by MyQul » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:43 pm

Yes, my name is Michael. Ah, I see why you would find it amusing, especially as you're France based. But it only really works is you mix english and french as 'my' in French is 'Mon'

Paddington
Piss Artist

Post by Paddington » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:15 pm

My 250ml bottle has a tiny amount of yeast after several days, maybe 5ml tops. Is that enough for a starter for a 10l brew?

MyQul

Post by MyQul » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:49 am

Paddington wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:15 pm
My 250ml bottle has a tiny amount of yeast after several days, maybe 5ml tops. Is that enough for a starter for a 10l brew?
Yes. What you have sounds exactly like what I get for my 10L brews. IPA says he harvests using a 500ml bttle and pitches into 1L for a 50L brew. Based on that pitching what you have into 500ml of starter wort should be enough. But I've always chickened out and put it into a 1L starter. I'll be pitching on tues, so am starting my starter today. I plan on 'manning up' and just using 500ml. I think it should be plenty though seeing as my OG will only be 1.036

Paddington
Piss Artist

Post by Paddington » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:43 pm

MyQul wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:49 am
Paddington wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:15 pm
Yes. What you have sounds exactly like what I get for my 10L brews. IPA says he harvests using a 500ml bttle and pitches into 1L for a 50L brew. Based on that pitching what you have into 500ml of starter wort should be enough. But I've always chickened out and put it into a 1L starter. I'll be pitching on tues, so am starting my starter today. I plan on 'manning up' and just using 500ml. I think it should be plenty though seeing as my OG will only be 1.036
Thanks. I'm another Michael and, despite my A level in French, I was unaware of the alternative meaning of cul.

MTW
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by MTW » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:54 am

I've got my first harvest sat in a 500ml bottle right now. It's WLP007. I used a turkey baster, and made sure to catch some of the bottom of the kraeusen too - I can only think this is a good idea, to boost the yeast content, while still having it safely tucked away in the beer. Looks like I got plenty.

I would say the downside of the method is that you still have to make a starter, whereas enough pure yeast (top or bottom) collected from a previous brew can start the next one without, and I have a friend who does that routinely with yeast that is a couple of months old. The main benefits seem to be the particularly easy harvest of very fresh, active yeast; the easier temperature handling, perhaps, with the beer-protected harvest being less prone to shock; the longevity of the sample.

Busy in the Summer House Brewery

Touchstone
Steady Drinker

Post by Touchstone » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:48 pm

I’ve not considered saving yeast but reading these posts I’m going to try it. How is the yeast stored after harvesting, in the fridge ?

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:02 pm

A quick update. I now use one of these with a short piece of silicone hose attached to the nozzle to take the sample of wort. It may look expensive but it is only 1.5 times the price of commercial liquid yeast.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Syringe-200-ml ... l+jonplast

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:08 pm

Touchstone wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:48 pm
I’ve not considered saving yeast but reading these posts I’m going to try it. How is the yeast stored after harvesting, in the fridge ?
Yes and it remains viable for at least two years.

Alone we travel faster

oz11
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by oz11 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:47 pm

IPA wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:02 pm
A quick update. I now use one of these with a short piece of silicone hose attached to the nozzle to take the sample of wort. It may look expensive but it is only 1.5 times the price of commercial liquid yeast.

Excellent..and it appears you can also use it to wash your..errr... ears as well! :wink:

donchiquon
Hollow Legs

Question on IPA's yeast scavenging.

Post by donchiquon » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:27 am

oz11 wrote: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Syringe-200-ml ... l+jonplast

Excellent..and it appears you can also use it to wash your..errr... ears as well! Image
I think there’s already a thread going on Whacky Beers. This could be the winning ticket...

Ian
Ian

MTW
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by MTW » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:07 pm

A bit of bump on this. I've now got a 3rd generation brew going with some WLP007 scavenged this way and, like the second generation, it's going really well.

I'm starting to wonder if I should take two (or more) harvests from the current batch, before it mutates down the line too much, storing one or two to come back to. I could have done that last time, I guess. Has anyone done this method enough to spot any characteristic shift in how it changes a strain by selection, versus plain top or bottom selection? I know it's more of a top-harvest than anything, but with plenty of activity in the beer 36/48hrs into the brew when we a re harvesting, I guess we are getting a slightly different mix.

Also, I think it may be useful to readers of this thread if there were a link to the method itself in one of the top posts! I'm not sure where it is, now...
Busy in the Summer House Brewery

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:44 am

MTW wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:07 pm
A bit of bump on this. I've now got a 3rd generation brew going with some WLP007 scavenged this way and, like the second generation, it's going really well.

I'm starting to wonder if I should take two (or more) harvests from the current batch, before it mutates down the line too much, storing one or two to come back to. I could have done that last time, I guess. Has anyone done this method enough to spot any characteristic shift in how it changes a strain by selection, versus plain top or bottom selection? I know it's more of a top-harvest than anything, but with plenty of activity in the beer 36/48hrs into the brew when we a re harvesting, I guess we are getting a slightly different mix.

Also, I think it may be useful to readers of this thread if there were a link to the method itself in one of the top posts! I'm not sure where it is, now...
Here it is. Sixth post down and try using one of these instead of a ladle

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=78251&p=813131&hili ... st#p812576

Alone we travel faster

alexlark
Under the Table

Post by alexlark » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:41 pm

Anyone harvested lager yeast using this method?