Disturb trub

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
Post Reply
tourer
Hollow Legs
Posts: 472
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:09 pm
Location: spitting distance of the Beacon hotel, home of Ruby red

Disturb trub

Post by tourer » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:50 pm

Does anybody put back the first wort runnings from the boiler as it may be a little cloudy? The reason i ask is i tend to do this but surely this disturbes the trub even if put it back gently. would i best be throwing this away? As my boiler is bottom draining i dont leave a large amount of wort behind so there's not much wasted.
thanks
Keith

User avatar
orlando
It's definitely Lock In Time
Posts: 6802
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:22 pm
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Re: Disturb trub

Post by orlando » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:22 am

Do you have a filter in the boiler and do you use kettle finings? If you do then allowing the wort to settle (1/2 hour) after you have finished chilling should mean clear wort going into the FV.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting: Duke Of Jarl (Reprise)
Conditioning: St. Petersburg (RIS)
Drinking: Distant Sun, Almost Gold, Closer To The Edge (Elgood's North Brink Porter)
Up Next: Mild In The Country, London Calling, Gertcherbrewed
Planning: Spring drinking beer.

tourer
Hollow Legs
Posts: 472
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:09 pm
Location: spitting distance of the Beacon hotel, home of Ruby red

Re: Disturb trub

Post by tourer » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:00 pm

orlando wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:22 am
Do you have a filter in the boiler and do you use kettle finings? If you do then allowing the wort to settle (1/2 hour) after you have finished chilling should mean clear wort going into the FV.
Hi orlando, yes i do use a filter abeit one thats made from a rolled up spatter guard but all the trub obviousley falls to the lowest point "the outlet" so fine particals can/will find there way to the outlet. I prefer to use whole hops rather than pellets although i will use pellets if nothing else is available. My last brew based on Seymours citrus gold but using EKG whole homegrown hops (300g) loose and fuggles pellets put in a small bag. This brew was left chilling for 2 hours with water running slowly through the chiller while i had a meal with the family.
You can see the inside of the boiler hear--
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=79744&p=827619#p827619

User avatar
orlando
It's definitely Lock In Time
Posts: 6802
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:22 pm
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Re: Disturb trub

Post by orlando » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:38 am

Link not working. You don't answer the copper finings question?
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting: Duke Of Jarl (Reprise)
Conditioning: St. Petersburg (RIS)
Drinking: Distant Sun, Almost Gold, Closer To The Edge (Elgood's North Brink Porter)
Up Next: Mild In The Country, London Calling, Gertcherbrewed
Planning: Spring drinking beer.

wolfenrook
Piss Artist
Posts: 195
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:00 am

Re: Disturb trub

Post by wolfenrook » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:44 pm

It does indeed disturb the trub as you put it back in, tried it multiple times myself. So now I just let it settle for as long as I can get away with after cooling, then anything that makes it through at first just goes into the FV. As you have probably already noticed, using whole hops and an in kettle filter you still get a LOT less trub in your FV than you would with pellet hops (when I used pellets, I usually ended up with a blocked bazooka... lol). By the end of primary it's packed right down, barely more than I used to get when brewing kits.

I BIAB too, which is infamous for extra trub. I plan to fix it one day by fitting a recirculation pump when I mash to recirculate the wort through the grain bed.

tourer
Hollow Legs
Posts: 472
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:09 pm
Location: spitting distance of the Beacon hotel, home of Ruby red

Re: Disturb trub

Post by tourer » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:17 pm

Oops forgot, yes Orlando i use Irish moss, it's a habit i'm happy with i've always used it. I suppose i could keep the first runnigs in a jug let it settle then pour off. Because i lose so little in that boiler i should just throw it away. Try this one orlando lid on lid off it's the item a bit farther down the Grain brewing QA page.

User avatar
Eric
Under the Table
Posts: 1991
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:18 am
Location: Sunderland.

Re: Disturb trub

Post by Eric » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:53 pm

Efficient filtering in the mash tun and kettle totally avoids this problem. However, try recycling a few litres while the boil is going after adding your copper finings. This can reduce the amount of debris in and around the filter and reduce the amount of recycling necessary for clear wort. Doing this I find it necessary to recycle little to get totally clear runnings.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories
Posts: 5397
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:49 pm
Location: Cowley, Oxford

Re: Disturb trub

Post by Fil » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:49 am

the irsh coffee trick of pouring the cream onto the drink over the back of a spoon as to minimise the splash and depth the cream plunges in and mixes should apply here, pour your 1st runnings back into the kettle over the back of a big spoon or ladle, and it shouldnt have too deep an impact on the sediment already settled.. if using a plate chiller i would think this to be a very wise practice to minimise the debris that could stick in the flow.
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

tourer
Hollow Legs
Posts: 472
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:09 pm
Location: spitting distance of the Beacon hotel, home of Ruby red

Re: Disturb trub

Post by tourer » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:56 pm

Eric wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:53 pm
Efficient filtering in the mash tun and kettle totally avoids this problem. However, try recycling a few litres while the boil is going after adding your copper finings. This can reduce the amount of debris in and around the filter and reduce the amount of recycling necessary for clear wort. Doing this I find it necessary to recycle little to get totally clear runnings.
Hi Eric, are you saying recycle the runnings back into the copper while its boiling?

User avatar
Eric
Under the Table
Posts: 1991
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:18 am
Location: Sunderland.

Re: Disturb trub

Post by Eric » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:21 pm

tourer wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:56 pm
Eric wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:53 pm
Efficient filtering in the mash tun and kettle totally avoids this problem. However, try recycling a few litres while the boil is going after adding your copper finings. This can reduce the amount of debris in and around the filter and reduce the amount of recycling necessary for clear wort. Doing this I find it necessary to recycle little to get totally clear runnings.
Hi Eric, are you saying recycle the runnings back into the copper while its boiling?
Yes. It started a long time ago when using old style Irish Moss which was first mixed into a slurry in an ordinary teacup. It became necessary to wash out the cup and first scooped out some wort from the top of the boil to then have hops, so went to the tap. It's not always been done as I've on occasion forgotten. Now Protoflac tablets are used, but that task triggers the recycling and as it takes place during a rolling boil, no more disturbance is created while purging the filter of larger break formed during the boil.
The first runnings from the kettle are very dark due to there being no filtering of wort already in the filter. It won't solve the problem caused by a poor or no filter, but will immediately eliminate some of the debris and reduce the amount of wort needed to be recycled that might disturb any other.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

tourer
Hollow Legs
Posts: 472
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:09 pm
Location: spitting distance of the Beacon hotel, home of Ruby red

Re: Disturb trub

Post by tourer » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:31 pm

Eric wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:21 pm
tourer wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:56 pm
Eric wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:53 pm
Efficient filtering in the mash tun and kettle totally avoids this problem. However, try recycling a few litres while the boil is going after adding your copper finings. This can reduce the amount of debris in and around the filter and reduce the amount of recycling necessary for clear wort. Doing this I find it necessary to recycle little to get totally clear runnings.
Hi Eric, are you saying recycle the runnings back into the copper while its boiling?
Yes. It started a long time ago when using old style Irish Moss which was first mixed into a slurry in an ordinary teacup. It became necessary to wash out the cup and first scooped out some wort from the top of the boil to then have hops, so went to the tap. It's not always been done as I've on occasion forgotten. Now Protoflac tablets are used, but that task triggers the recycling and as it takes place during a rolling boil, no more disturbance is created while purging the filter of larger break formed during the boil.
The first runnings from the kettle are very dark due to there being no filtering of wort already in the filter. It won't solve the problem caused by a poor or no filter, but will immediately eliminate some of the debris and reduce the amount of wort needed to be recycled that might disturb any other.
It's worth a go, thanks Eric.

Post Reply

Return to “Grain Brewing Questions and Answers”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot], Google [Bot] and 2 guests