question for anyone that has done dennis king's galaxy delight

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
Le beer
Tippler

question for anyone that has done dennis king's galaxy delight

Post by Le beer » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:43 pm

Knocked this one up last night - it was my first all grain in my recently revived brewing career! I used maxi bib technique as it was all my limited kit will allow really - I am using an ancient baby burco. I didn't apply any science or complex calculations as I thought I would just dive in there to start with. All went well, good mash, batch sparged a couple times and a clean boil with no boil over [-X ! I whirlpooled but didn't leave enough time to settle, so had a lot of gunk lost to the pot. I still managed to get 3.5 gals into a cube to chill overnight. When I checked it this morning I had an og of 1.070- I diluted to 5 gal og approx. 1.055. So okay I think on efficiency. However when I tasted the sample, I got a lot of lovely malty sweetness, but no real hop bitterness. I followed the hop schedule, but used a hop bag. I read that this is a bitter beer that needs time to mellow, so I was expecting a bitter kick like I got when I did my cwtch kit. Also loads of protein break. So what do you think, will the bitterness come through as the beer ferments out the sugar, and will I be able to lose all the protein residue? What were your experiences of this recipe?

sbond10
Even further under the Table
Location: Warrington England usually drunk or being mithered by my 2yr old or wife

Re: question for anyone that has done dennis king's galaxy delight

Post by sbond10 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:03 pm

Wait until tje yeast has eaten the sugar

Haydnexport
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Haydnexport » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:05 pm

As the previous post , it will be vastly different once them sugars have been turned into alcohol

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:12 pm

Make a hop tea. Dilute some in a sweet solution and some in water. What do you notice?

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:50 am

Le beer [-X La biere
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:57 am

Did you have a hopping rate for 5 gallons or for the 3.5 gallons originally collected? If the latter then you have diluted the planned bitterness significantly.

Le beer
Tippler

Post by Le beer » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:39 am

Thanks for the replies. Hopping rate was for 5 gallons. The recipe kit suggested 15g for 90 mins 45g for 15mins so I did that. I realise that using maxi biab that hop utilisations will be less, so less bitterness potentially, but I also read that by using no chill I would potentially increase bitterness, so figured the two might cancel. As I said - no science! It is fermenting nicely so will see how it turns out. As it is the first one I wanted to keep it simple. I will record might notes then use the biabacus next time once I have learnt from my mistakes

Le beer
Tippler

Post by Le beer » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:43 am

@IPA

La biere = feminine, girly beer
Le beer = masculine manly beer
:D

Dennis King
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by Dennis King » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:06 pm

I never sample at that stage of the brew so not really able to answer the question. Hope it turns out OK and you enjoy it.

Le beer
Tippler

Post by Le beer » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:24 am

Certainly fermenting well. I had to fit a blow off as it was coming through the airlock. I have never had that with any previous brews. I assume it is to do with the west coast yeast. Dennis, I normally leave brews in the primary for two weeks then bottle up if it appears to be finished. Would you recommend anything different with this recipe?

Dennis King

Post by Dennis King » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:01 am

Le beer wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:24 am
Certainly fermenting well. I had to fit a blow off as it was coming through the airlock. I have never had that with any previous brews. I assume it is to do with the west coast yeast. Dennis, I normally leave brews in the primary for two weeks then bottle up if it appears to be finished. Would you recommend anything different with this recipe?
I normally leave about 10 days in primary then put into polypin. What yeast are you using.

Le beer
Tippler

Post by Le beer » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:26 am

It is the west coast ale yeast that came from malt miller, along with the other ingredients. I will be bottling half to set aside for a rainy day and putting the rest in a pressure barrel. I have never used a polypin. Don't you have an issue drinking the contents quick enough
Before it oxidises?

Le beer
Tippler

Post by Le beer » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:37 am

Forgot to ask - I am going to dry hop as per the recipe. How many days do you leave it on the dry hops before racking off or bottling? I don't bother with a secondary so maybe if I give it 10 days, then chuck in the 40g galaxy loose, then maybe bottle at 14 if finished. Does that sound right?

Le beer
Tippler

Post by Le beer » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:39 am

Forgot to ask - I am going to dry hop as per the recipe. How many days do you leave it on the dry hops before racking off or bottling? I don't bother with a secondary so maybe if I give it 10 days, then chuck in the 40g galaxy loose, then maybe bottle at 14 if finished. Does that sound right?

Dennis King

Post by Dennis King » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:56 pm

I add dry hops to the fermenter for the last 2 days.