mashing

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
Jim
Site Admin

Re: mashing

Post by Jim » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:46 pm

There's a good description of how to make a picnic cooler mash tun here. It does involve a bit of DIY, though (no getting away from it altogether I'm afraid, unless you want to pay someone to make the gear for you).
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

danbrew

Post by danbrew » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:39 pm

Just be careful on deadspace above the mash if you use a coolbox. Deadspace being the amount of airspace above the mash. The more space there is, the quicker the mash loses heat... (and it's not easy to find a coolbox to suit your size requirements!)

How big is your stockpot? You only need to lift the bag clear of the wort for a minute or two before the vast majority of wort has drained from the grains. Small amounts won't weigh a great deal and you can rotate the bag whilst holding it above the wort, wringing rather than squeezing if you see what I mean?

basswulf
Piss Artist

Post by basswulf » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:57 am

Befuddler wrote:I think you may have misunderstood slightly.. You don't put a pot in the cooler, you fill the cooler with grains/water and use that as your mash tun!
If I use it as a mash tun, I'm then back to another container to clean out (plus I'd have to pour in and out - I don't want to fit a tap as this one still gets used as a cooler from time to time. It's a moot point anyway - the stock pot doesn't fit. Back to thinking about other insulation options.

Wulf