TANGLEFOOT Recipe:- Question

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
Deebee
Even further under the Table

TANGLEFOOT Recipe:- Question

Post by Deebee » Fri May 22, 2009 2:42 pm

Hi.

I just found a clone recipe by Norm for one of my favourite ever beers.

I have all i need except temperatures and amounts,

What is the mash temperature standard 66-68??

(i trust for 90 minutes) and also how much water in the first instance? There is just under 4 kilos of mal and 770 grams sugar, is the sugar put into the mash?
Also the " rinsing " after draining of the mash? ( sorry i don't know the term ) at what temperature?

I have the chance to have a crack at this next week so if someone could let me know tha answers to my questions i'd be really grateful.

Sadly i have no receipes to share yet, but as soon as i get them i'll post em up. Thaks for the help i appreciate it.
Dave
Running for Childrens cancer in the Windsor Half marathon.
Please consider helping a good cause:)

mctoon

Re: TANGLEFOOT Recipe:- Question

Post by mctoon » Fri May 22, 2009 3:02 pm

I mash at 66C, and the "rinsing" , ie sparging,, the temp should be between 80-85C,, as for the amount of water use this little beauty

http://www.jimsbeerkit.co.uk/batch_calculator.html

Good Lusk, Cheers Mal

mctoon

Post by mctoon » Fri May 22, 2009 3:04 pm

mctoon wrote:I mash at 66C, and the "rinsing" , ie sparging,, the temp should be between 80-85C,, as for the amount of water use this little beauty

http://www.jimsbeerkit.co.uk/batch_calculator.html

Good Lusk, Cheers Mal
Lusk???????, Good Luck even

hotmog
Piss Artist

Post by hotmog » Fri May 22, 2009 3:16 pm

You add the sugar to the boil, not the mash. Run off some of the hot wort into a jug, dissolve some of the sugar in that and pitch it back into the boiler; repeat as necessary until all the sugar has been dissolved.

Deebee

Post by Deebee » Fri May 22, 2009 4:24 pm

Thanks guyslotof his stuff is all new to me so i am not sure the calculation for watr was right.
I am useing a starter kit of an old freezer box as mash tun though.

In the pale ale that had 4 kilos of grain i started with 12 liters watr in the mash.

So i guess i am working on the same here, i'e 11.5 l in the mash. I guess this gives me a first time tapping of around 8 liters and means i have to sparge with 17 + loss of 10%

Does this sound about right

The other guys are doing an imperial stout and a dark mild so their time is gonna be rather busy with hat little lot.

I don't get the hops til 1 june either so can't do it before.

Can someone give me a hint as t whether i am on the right lines here. i'd hate to mess it up. its a cracking beer and i need to do it justice ... especially as these norwegian guys have never had the pleasure...

thanks

Dave
Dave

Parva

Post by Parva » Sat May 23, 2009 2:50 am

Aim for 2.5x water to grist ratio, so for 4Kg of malt you will need 10 litres of water. Most people mash for 90 minutes in order to extract the greatest amount of sugars from the grain but some do get away with 60 minute mashes.

There's two ways that you can mash in, the most widely used way or the lazy git (me) way. The most widely used one is to preheat the mash-tun (coolbox) with a kettle full of boiling water, drain this off then add your 10 litres at 72c. By the time your grain is added and stirred you should be around 66c. My method is to use 82c water straight into the cold mash-tun, add grains and stir and hey presto, I hit 66c. I can't guarentee this will work for you, I just know what works for my equipment.

Ideally, you are aiming to hit 62c to 68c, any hotter / cooler then it's ok to add more hot / cold water to get the temperature right. Let it mash for an hour, give it a stir and check the temperature, if it's fallen out of range then make water additions to put it back. The closer to 68c you start off at, the less fermentable sugars will be extracted, the closer to 62c you get, the more fermentable sugars you will get and this will be reflected in the final gravity reading on your hydrometer. Mash high, finish high (1.015 or so), mash low, finish low (1.010 or less).

There's a trade-off with either reading. Mash low and finish low, you'll get a higher ABV beer BUT it will taste 'thinner', the higher mash gives a beer more body. I personally mash at 66c and usually finish at around 1.014 at the end of fermentation and I get a nice beer with lots of flavour and mouthfeel and not something that will just get me drunk (altough it would if I supped enough anway). :)

Incidentally, I also use 82c water for batch sparging as the aim is to bring the mash up to 72c - 80c to stop the sugar conversion and topping up with batch 1 at 82c usually sees me hit 72c, batch 2 usually around 76c.

subsub

Post by subsub » Sat May 23, 2009 7:27 am

I put on weight just looking at the cans of the stuff in the supermarket :D

Deebee

Post by Deebee » Sun May 24, 2009 4:22 pm

Thanks very much.
The next question is about the sugar, i mean can i use another grain instead of the sugar to give the same result without losing the taste or strength?
If so what and how much. I guess i could use a spray malt instead?
If not them i stick with what is written here and will do my best to do the recipe justice.
I look forward to hearing from you all again.
Dave

Parva

Post by Parva » Sun May 24, 2009 5:10 pm

Quite a few recipes do have sugar in them along with the grains in order to get something near to the original recipe. If a recipe says to add sugar along with grains then I would go along with it. Indeed, a Black Sheep Riggwelter I did recently had sugar in the recipe and it turned out to be my best brew to date.

Deebee

Post by Deebee » Fri May 29, 2009 7:44 am

Thanks, i guess the silly wquestions just keep coming.

Brown or white sugar? Normal Borwn or demarera? ( Sp)

Also if i wanted to darken the beer just a shade what grain would you recommend, something that will add colour but not really anything in the flavour. My hops are coming soon,,,,,,
Dave

OldSpeckledBadger
Under the Table

Post by OldSpeckledBadger » Fri May 29, 2009 8:09 am

Deebee wrote:Brown or white sugar? Normal Borwn or demarera? ( Sp)
Whatever the recipe calls for. You'd only normally use brown sugars in darker beers.
Deebee wrote:Also if i wanted to darken the beer just a shade what grain would you recommend, something that will add colour but not really anything in the flavour.
A small quantity of Black Malt.
Best wishes

OldSpeckledBadger

Deebee

Post by Deebee » Fri May 29, 2009 8:22 am

OldSpeckledBadger wrote:
Deebee wrote:Brown or white sugar? Normal Borwn or demarera? ( Sp)
Whatever the recipe calls for. You'd only normally use brown sugars in darker beers.
Deebee wrote:Also if i wanted to darken the beer just a shade what grain would you recommend, something that will add colour but not really anything in the flavour.
A small quantity of Black Malt.
Meaning say 50 g?

The recipe just says sugar....
Dave

OldSpeckledBadger
Under the Table

Post by OldSpeckledBadger » Fri May 29, 2009 9:01 am

Deebee wrote:Meaning say 50 g?
It depends on the brew length, the initial colour and the colour you want. Use Beer Engine to work it out.
Best wishes

OldSpeckledBadger

Deebee

Post by Deebee » Sun May 31, 2009 3:29 pm

is beer engine a downloadable program?
Dave

OldSpeckledBadger
Under the Table

Post by OldSpeckledBadger » Sun May 31, 2009 3:52 pm

Deebee wrote:is beer engine a downloadable program?
Yes. Link it 1st post of this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=17405
Best wishes

OldSpeckledBadger