How do you aerate your wort

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
PaulStat

How do you aerate your wort

Post by PaulStat » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:52 am

My usual method is drop the cooled wort from the boiler down into the FV from about a 2ft drop. Last time however the run off from the boiler got stuck meaning I had to jug a sieve so the wort wasn't very well aerated.

So I've invested in one of these for such circumstances.

Scotty

Re: How do you aerate your wort

Post by Scotty » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:25 am

I inadvertantly aerated a kit brew yesterday by pouring the wort from one FV to the other, and then back. From a 6g sachet of yeast, it has the largest foam head I have seen to date! :shock:

I was actually trying to reduce the temperature of the wort to pitch the yeast but that didn't work very well :lol:

EportJake
Piss Artist

Post by EportJake » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:27 pm

Mine goes through my counter flow cooler then drops through a seive into my FV. Never had a problem with a stuck fermentation yet.
BREWERY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

nobby

Post by nobby » Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:48 pm

I just let it run from one FV to another via a Collinder. Not had any problems yet.

WishboneBrewery
CBA Prizewinner 2010

Post by WishboneBrewery » Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:17 am

Semi-long drop through sieve then after the yeast is pitched I give it a good thrashing with the paddle ;)

Middo

Post by Middo » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:05 pm

All methods listed here work fine - letting the wort drop into the FV from a height should provide enough oxygen for a healthy fermentation. Can't remember where I read it but I recently attached my beer paddle to an electric drill, set the speed to medium(ish), stuck it in the wort and gave it a good blast. If you try this, be sure to move the paddle about as if whisking, rather than just sticking it in the centre; otherwise you'll form a giant whirlpool and could end up with a nice 360 deg splashing of wort around your FV! #-o

vacant
Even further under the Table

Post by vacant » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:43 pm

If I'm using Nottingham or Windsor I don't bother. Danstar state "It is unnecessary to aerate wort."
http://www.danstaryeast.com/tds/nottingham.pdf
I brew therefore I ... I .... forget

6470zzy
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by 6470zzy » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:51 pm

vacant wrote:If I'm using Nottingham or Windsor I don't bother. Danstar state "It is unnecessary to aerate wort."
http://www.danstaryeast.com/tds/nottingham.pdf
That is true up to a point....if you are brewing a beer up to 5% then you are all set with your dry yeast. If however you want to do a higher alcohol brew then you will benefit from aeration, I use a Stainless Steel 2 micron diffusion stone and an aquarium pump with a sanitary filter in between. I usually let it bubble away for 20 minutes and have good results with the setup.

Cheers
"Work is the curse of the drinking class"
Oscar Wilde

Whorst

Post by Whorst » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:04 pm

I use pure oxygen.

6470zzy

Post by 6470zzy » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:15 pm

[quote="Whorst"]I use pure oxygen.

How long do you oxygenate for, 30 seconds or so? I have looked at these and toyed with the thought of getting one, have you noticed a marked difference in your ferments?

Cheers
Oscar Wilde

GARYSMIFF

Post by GARYSMIFF » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:20 pm

How did I guess that any of the chaps from over the pond who answered this post would have bottles of o2 and SSteel Air stones :D

What would that cost over here?

I must say, I have looked and have a HEPA filter for an air pump and enquired about a SSteel air stone :oops: .

I like to chuck a few Piranha in and a James Bond villain that works quite well. :lol:

6470zzy

Post by 6470zzy » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:27 pm

GARYSMIFF wrote:How did I guess that any of the chaps from over the pond who answered this post would have bottles of o2 and SSteel Air stones :D

What would that cost over here?

I must say, I have looked and have a HEPA filter for an air pump and enquired about a SSteel air stone :oops: .

I like to chuck a few Piranha in and a James Bond villain that works quite well. :lol:

here is a link for the various prices for the whole kit:

http://www.williamsbrewing.com/WORT_AERATION_C106.cfm
Oscar Wilde

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:31 pm

I have the kit and don't use it any more if you want it :D

Why use o2 or even aerate at all when it causes oxidation of the wort? Just add a tiny drop of olive oil to your starter, Carapelli works best :=P

Whorst

Post by Whorst » Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:45 am

I usually oxygenate between 45-60 seconds. I get fast very fast starts. There are many ways to this, but I prefer pure oxygen.

CJBrew

Post by CJBrew » Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:30 pm

Regarding olive oil:

http://www.fermentarium.com/content/view/254/58/

I thought "like heck am I adding Olive oil to my beer", so looked it up. Interesting, at least... Increased Esters would be good for a lot of ale styles