Micro Brewery - Bad Smell ?

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
dopejack

Re: Micro Brewery - Bad Smell ?

Post by dopejack » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:10 pm

Your relationship's already frosty. Soddem, build next to them, with the vent facing them!

Wolfdog

Post by Wolfdog » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:19 pm

With respect to the smell, I did my first AG brew two weeks back in my seller. I thought the Wife was going to go mad about the "smell" the came out of the seller head in plumes of stream, however she commented on how nice it was and that it reminded her of Horlicks. I now have full license to continue brewing in the seller to my hearts content. Not only that switching to AG brewing now means that a brew cost me around £3.50 per brew instead of £18 for twin tin kits!
Every ones a WINNER!

dopejack

Post by dopejack » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:45 pm

Cellar

Wolfdog

Post by Wolfdog » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:10 pm

dopejack wrote:Cellar
LOL!!! sorry I'm dislexic, can't smell to shave my wife! :shock:

dopejack

Post by dopejack » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:13 pm

Wolfdog wrote:
dopejack wrote:Cellar
LOL!!! sorry I'm dislexic, can't smell to shave my wife! :shock:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Graham

Post by Graham » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:35 am

If you are going to brew commercially, you will have to satisfy the council that you will not be generating any smells, offensive or not. It's not a big deal. A steam scrubber is cheap enough to make.

You will need a copper with a lid on it; a U-shaped steam vent pipe is fixed to the lid, U-shaped so that the outlet of the vent is pointed downwards towards the ground. In the downward part of the vent you fit a little spray nozzle which is connected a water supply when the boil is in progress. This condenses the steam and removes the smell. Only a tiny fine mist spray of water is required. A bucket or something can go under the vent to collect the condensate.

For the hobby part of your venture, you will not be generating enough smell to worry about and the council are not likely to bother you until you go commercial anyway. I don't think a smellometer has been invented yet, so it will be a bloke's nose that does the testing.