Fly or batch sparge?

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)

Which do you prefer?

Fly
29%
Batch
71%

Total votes: 65

Capped
Under the Table

Re: Fly or batch sparge?

Post by Capped » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:36 am

Scooby wrote:Why the obsession with clear run off?

I don't think anyone has explained how a clear run off from the tun improves the finished beer, or why not having a clear run off is detrimental.
I dunno tbh! All I know is that I'd much rather see a clear run-off than a turbid one . It's only natural,innit?? If anyone can convince me that a clear one is in no way superior to a cloudy one,I may well reconsider!

Aleman
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by Aleman » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:40 am

I don't think anyone has explained how a clear run off from the tun improves the finished beer, or why not having a clear run off is detrimental.
No idea either, as long as the big chunky bits of grain and husk get held back who cares?

Chris did post a link to a (very technical) article about why obtaining a clear run off could actually be bad for the beer . . . I read it, didn't absorb it . . . and forgot to bookmark it #-o #-o

Oh and I can't vote as I choose one or the other depending on how I'm feeling, and how much space there is in the mash tun at the time :D

steve_flack

Post by steve_flack » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:55 am

Capped wrote:Fly,fly!! If I ever try batch sparging again and it results in the same fiasco as previous attempts,I swear I'll throw the MT,grains and all,out the freakin window. My main prroblem is finding it impossible to get a clear run-off,even if I recirculate 20 times (been there,done that etc). With fly,it's clear after 2 or 3 litres,then plain sailing from there on in. Nah,batch just ain't for me.
I batch sparge and get clear run off. I do use a pump to recirculate so I'm not actually there with a jug so I pay little attention to the volume it takes to do it. Five minutes tops?

trucker5774
Falling off the Barstool

Post by trucker5774 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:56 am

As Chris said above, some people try too hard. I had a very smooth brew day yesterday. The batch sparge went like a dream and was as clear as some finished brews I have seen. It was a regular grain bill I use and did everything the same (best as I can tell) The runnings were particularly clear and the theme continued after the boil!
John

Drinking/Already drunk........ Trucker's Anti-Freeze (Turbo Cider), Truckers Delight, Night Trucker, Rose wine, Truckers Hitch, Truckers Revenge, Trucker's Lay-by, Trucker's Trailer, Flower Truck, Trucker's Gearshift, Trucker's Horn, Truck Crash, Fixby Gold!

Conditioning... Doing what? Get it down your neck! ........

FV 1............
FV 2............
FV 3............
Next Brews..... Trucker's Jack Knife

crookedeyeboy

Post by crookedeyeboy » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:37 pm

Hmmm Ive been wondering about something to do with this for a while.

We all (well most) crash cool the wort in the boiler to coagulate proteins well it seems to me that even if you get a crystal clear run off from the MT there will still be soluable proteins 'hiding' in the wort.

I wonder if anyone has ever crash cooled the wort BEFORE the boil.......hmmm

trucker5774
Falling off the Barstool

Post by trucker5774 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:46 pm

crookedeyeboy wrote:Hmmm Ive been wondering about something to do with this for a while.

We all (well most) crash cool the wort in the boiler to coagulate proteins well it seems to me that even if you get a crystal clear run off from the MT there will still be soluable proteins 'hiding' in the wort.

I wonder if anyone has ever crash cooled the wort BEFORE the boil.......hmmm
I have \:D/ .........but only a glass full in the fridge to observe the clarity. It did clear with sediment at the bottom (well that's where it would be) Don't know if it would be desirable to do the whole amount. It would certainly use more energy to boil it again. I'm not a chemist so can't add much more :?
John

Drinking/Already drunk........ Trucker's Anti-Freeze (Turbo Cider), Truckers Delight, Night Trucker, Rose wine, Truckers Hitch, Truckers Revenge, Trucker's Lay-by, Trucker's Trailer, Flower Truck, Trucker's Gearshift, Trucker's Horn, Truck Crash, Fixby Gold!

Conditioning... Doing what? Get it down your neck! ........

FV 1............
FV 2............
FV 3............
Next Brews..... Trucker's Jack Knife

crookedeyeboy

Post by crookedeyeboy » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:39 pm

I suppose the fridge would be ok and yes I think the PIA bit would be that the wort would take aggggeeeeessss to get boiling but I was thinking about crash cooling which coagulates more protein rather than just putting it in the fridge where it will just slowly cool.

Silly question time. BUT. What is the point of holding the wort at say 66C whilst recirculating with a HERMS or RIMS. Is it just so that it doesnt start to cool and take longer to boil? Cant be that as that seems to simple and loads of effort electronics wise just to keep it at a steady temp.

Ta in advance

Aleman
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by Aleman » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:49 pm

With a HERMS/RIMS setup you recirculate for the duration of the mash not just at the end.

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:15 pm

Daft :!: but you get crystal clear wort from the tun :=P

Then again most who use the system don't cite higher quality beer as the reason for all the gizmos :lol:

crookedeyeboy

Post by crookedeyeboy » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:38 pm

Haha great replies! Lets be honest we all love a gadget! I know I do, ive already got a pump and im looking at one of those lovely little £26 ones Leewink found.

Dont need it but must have it.

While Im at it I shall make both a HERMS and a RIMS along with a robot that will massage my aching limbs after a long day brewing!

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:41 pm

Ha nail on head there :lol:
Capped wrote:

I dunno tbh! All I know is that I'd much rather see a clear run-off than a turbid one . It's only natural,innit?? If anyone can convince me that a clear one is in no way superior to a cloudy one,I may well reconsider!
To me clear is free of cloud and transparent. Turbid is thick with suspended matter.
Chris-x1 wrote:you should try to achieve as clear a run off as practical but it doesn't have to be bright (and it doesn't matter if it is opaque).
Opaque isn't transparent but clear enough for me :lol:

Capped
Under the Table

Post by Capped » Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:29 pm

Well after all the hoo-ha on here,I've brewed today and had another go at batch sparging,having been a little reassured that a clear run-off wasn't the be all and end all. As expected I didn't get anything approaching clarity at any stage,but..... I used 4500g pale,200g crystal,35g Choc malt and ended up with 23ltrs@ 1060 OG! This is astonishing for me - gonna have to dilute that baby - don't know what's gone right or wrong here?! See how it pans out anyway,but I do have reservations about the lack of clarity at this stage. Oh,and I gotta admit that the whole process was a lot less hassle and a sight quicker than fly-sparging. A convert? Watch this space!

mat69

Post by mat69 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:07 am

wow,thats about 95% eff isn,t it? :shock: i only get 62% :(

Capped
Under the Table

Post by Capped » Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:22 am

Do I win a prize :D ? I'm as shocked as you - was aiming for 1050ish,which is what I'd have got by fly sparging. In the event,I didn't want to faff around with two FVs so I 'lost' the best part of a gallon down the sink and replaced it with water. Voila - 1050!

mat69

Post by mat69 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:02 am

no prize capped,but you can pat yourself on the back :D so i take it that fly sparging improves efficeincy,not that im too bothered about it,i always batch sparge and base my brew on 70%@ about 1046,and if i get 1042 im happy with that.the most important thing to me is im producing great beers which everyone enjoys..