rice hulls substitute

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
grubac

rice hulls substitute

Post by grubac » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:58 am

Hey Everyone

I'm a big fan of wheat beer and I brew it several times a year. My local homebrew shop, however, never has rice hulls or anything at all which could possible used to aid in the lautering process. That being said, my lautering process when brewing a wheat beer always drags on.

Does anyone know of a good substitute hull, husk or grain, which is more readily available?

Grubač

mysterio

Re: rice hulls substitute

Post by mysterio » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:03 am

Oat husks can be bought from some HB shops. Give them a good rinse before use as they have an oat flavour.

awalker
Under the Table

Post by awalker » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:11 pm

Dont know if this helps, but all wheat beers I do are batch sparge.
Have not used oat husks, for the last few years and normally do a wheat beer every 3 months.

I always do a single mash temp, then make sure I raise the temperature of the grain bed before I drain the mash, generally the wheat beers are 80% wheat malt 20% maris otter.
Run off is always fine
Fermenter(s): Lambic, Wheat beer, Amrillo/Cascade Beer
Cornys: Hobgoblin clone, Four Shades Stout, Wheat Beer, Amarillo/Cascade Ale, Apple Wine, Cider, Damson Wine, Ginger Beer

Manx Guy

Post by Manx Guy » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:13 pm

awalker wrote:Dont know if this helps, but all wheat beers I do are batch sparge.
Have not used oat husks, for the last few years and normally do a wheat beer every 3 months.

I always do a single mash temp, then make sure I raise the temperature of the grain bed before I drain the mash, generally the wheat beers are 80% wheat malt 20% maris otter.
Run off is always fine
Interesting...
I'd heard that a high temprature reduces the viscosity of the mash (maybe why some recipes/methods call for 'mashing out' at ~/+77C
Whats sort of manifold do you use on your MT/lauter system?

I suspect my false bottom /tap connecter(fine mesh) might have too small a hole size for a high % wheat malt wheat beer...

I also have a slotted copper manifold too (currently fitted to another MT)
Or could you just use a mash/sparging bag and run off thru the tap alone with no other form of filter...
Cheers

Guy
8)

awalker
Under the Table

Post by awalker » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:30 pm

Used to have a 'standard' hop and grape mash tun, with slotted copper manifold as provided by them.
Have since moved to a 10 gallon setup and use a small home made version of a copper slotted manifold with cuts at similar intervals to the H&G one.

I read the same some where, so now always aim for 80oC(ish) batch sparge water, which seems to make a difference.

There is something else which might make no difference at all but here goes
I always put the marris otter or lager malt in first on top of the manifold and then the wheat malt.
Like I said it might make no difference what so ever, but it makes me feel better.
Fermenter(s): Lambic, Wheat beer, Amrillo/Cascade Beer
Cornys: Hobgoblin clone, Four Shades Stout, Wheat Beer, Amarillo/Cascade Ale, Apple Wine, Cider, Damson Wine, Ginger Beer

Manx Guy

Post by Manx Guy » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:37 pm

Hi,

Right I thought a slotted manifold might be the best way to go for any mash that has potential to get stuck...

Your tip about the malted barley in first isn't as daft as you may think... It sounds logical to me!

My first wheat beer will most likely be an American style one with 50:50 ratio lager:wheat... So its not that likely to get stuck but as a precaution I will use the slotted manifold and use sparge water at 80C (should be plaenty hot enough to rasie the mash temprature...

:)

Guy
8)

BrewChron

Post by BrewChron » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:31 pm

I second the recommendation of a slotted manifold. When I used one of those I never got a stuck mash. And yeah you should be using at least 50% barley malt with the wheat, probably more like 60%.