Condensation back into boiler

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
andrew.thebatman

Re: Condensation back into boiler

Post by andrew.thebatman » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:43 pm

Dont forget to have enough free flowing air from the outside into your shed to keep the extractor running at maximum efficiency. An air inlet/fan placed low down on the opposite side of your shed from extractor should work best ! Keep this in mind even with 'an enclosed' system, Its no good tying to suck air out of an enclosed room .

manxape

Post by manxape » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:25 pm

I've been doing some research into this at the mo (as swmbo wants less steam in the house) and was pondering getting an in-line fan rather than an extractor hood then using a coned hood or chimneyesque construction directly over the boiler connected to venting that then runs through the fan through a bit more and out a vent on the side of the house. I reckon a fan that shifts 150 to 200 m3ph should do it. Although a cooker hood may just prove to be cheaper. Has anyone used the in line extractor method?

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:13 pm

I had a go with an in-line fan in a noddy sort of way recently; it worked well but the hood (i.e. my trial bits of hardboard) had to be quite wide and deep to catch all the steam and stop it escaping; there must be a lot of air rising that has to be captured and pushed out before it can deviate.

I wasn't 'entirely' happy as the casing of the fan (which is larger diameter around the blades/motor) started getting a small pool of water at the bottom, the swirling blades stopped it getting too deep but it did seem to affect the motor a bit. Maybe a drain hole would have helped, but I didn't try as theres still a possibility I may use it for the bathroom that I bought it for....

cheers
kev
Kev

manxape

Post by manxape » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:30 pm

Hmm perhaps a stainless steel incinerator lid might work? Although that may cause some condensation. I've found a cheapish in-line fan which will do 380m3ph so it might do the trick..

JammyBStard

Post by JammyBStard » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:51 pm

Kev888 wrote:EDIT: just had a potentially good idea - use a cone shaped hood with sides steep enough and a rim wide enough that condensation runs down to the rim and drips off 'around' the boiler, not into it? Could even make a small gutter or something, and possibly heat it so that condensation doesn't want to form easily to begin with. Copywrite Kev888; now all I have to do is to remember not to tell anyone before I patent it. Oh, bugg...

Cheers,
Kev
Too late anyway Kev; there was some Pro Brewer on TBN radio a few months ago talking about his new copper that had an internal gutter to collect the condensation and chanel it out of the boiler. Apparently one taste of the stuff that comes out of the gutter and you'll know it was a good idea!

Kev888

Post by Kev888 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:08 am

Oh well, I'm not in this to make money - although such is the crapness of my real job that I can wish..
Nice to know I wasn't too far off the mark though!

Cheers
kev
Kev

Dr. Dextrin

Post by Dr. Dextrin » Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:54 pm

JammyBStard wrote:
Kev888 wrote:EDIT: just had a potentially good idea - use a cone shaped hood with sides steep enough and a rim wide enough that condensation runs down to the rim and drips off 'around' the boiler, not into it? Could even make a small gutter or something, and possibly heat it so that condensation doesn't want to form easily to begin with. Copywrite Kev888; now all I have to do is to remember not to tell anyone before I patent it. Oh, bugg...

Cheers,
Kev
Too late anyway Kev; there was some Pro Brewer on TBN radio a few months ago talking about his new copper that had an internal gutter to collect the condensation and chanel it out of the boiler. Apparently one taste of the stuff that comes out of the gutter and you'll know it was a good idea!
Just wondering how he deals with the condensation that forms on the outside of his gutter... Presumably there's another gutter to catch that... :lol:

FarmBrew

Post by FarmBrew » Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:10 pm

In bigger kit - like domed boilers - the hop volatile rich condensation runs down the inside of the stack and is collected by troughs that run around the inside of the stack and run off by tubes on the outside. Open kettles usually have a hood over them that is wider than the edge of the kettle rim so any condensation drips well away from the boiling wort...

Hope that is useful!

GrowlingDogBeer
Even further under the Table

Post by GrowlingDogBeer » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:57 pm

I've decided I'm going to try one of these cooker hoods from Wickes for my brewery. If it doesn't work I haven't lost much really as it's only £39.99 (bargain). I will be venting it outside through the garage wall.

http://www.wickes.co.uk/bin/venda?bsref ... 253D&qty=1

Kev888

Post by Kev888 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:14 pm

Looks very smart too. I'd be very keen to hear how it goes, I was thinking of building something like it out of old bits of celotex/kingspan board but haven't had chance yet. The warmer weather means the steam isn't condensing on everything now, but I definately want to get it sorted before next winter.

The best of luck with it!

Cheers
kev
Kev

GrowlingDogBeer
Even further under the Table

Post by GrowlingDogBeer » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:58 pm

Kev888 wrote:Looks very smart too.
Well it's shiny, thats what matters.

barney

Post by barney » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:08 pm

Was reading about something similar the other night, sulfur and other undesirables are steamed off. Condensate getting back into the wort just lets off flavours back in. On my most recent brew I kept the lid on to reduce evaporation. DOH. Apparently the are two schools of thought on e it doesn't matter and the German/European one that no condensate should be allowed to get back into the wort. Will read the relevant section again tonight.

Scotty

Post by Scotty » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:09 pm

Well, a bit of an update.

The Citra Pale ale I brewed whilst using the cooker hood has turned out great. No off tastes whatsoever and nearly the best beer I've made to date.
However the problem is still the steam extraction but now the warmer weather has arrived, the steam is less of a problem. I may even modify the cooker hood whilst I wait for the other hood to be made.

I've just bought a good quality anti-mould and condensation paint to try and combat the mouldy shed walls and roof

speedtripledan

Post by speedtripledan » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:06 pm

I have been thinking about this myself, and was going to use a bathroom extractor fan on flexi pipe, basically position the fan pick up near the main body of steam and vent out of the window in my garage. the steam produced is not dissimilar to what my teenager creates in the shower and the bathroom extractor clears that well enough...

Shadowknight
Piss Artist

Post by Shadowknight » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:25 pm

Scotty Mc wrote: I have just had a look at the fan and the lower part of the casing is full of water which isn't good.
Part of me is saying fix that before you next brew...
Needs more Cowbell.